The ultimate Cadillac margarita recipe! What makes it an ultimate? The premium ingredients, of course!! And the delicious balance of flavors! Many people attest that this is the best margarita ever!
This ultimate Cadillac margarita is the number
one two recipe on my blog. The post that went viral because of an HBO show called “Camping” brought the Jelly Donut Shot forefront of everyone’s attention, turned the table. Which is crazy in the Dishes Delish history, but welcomed, believe me. Check out my jelly shot recipe!
- The History of my Cadillac Margarita
- What is a Cadillac margarita?
- Do I make the Cadillac margarita on the rocks or can I have it frozen?
- What are these premium ingredients?
- Tips for Mixing the Margarita
- What is the ratio best to use for sweet and sour mix?
- How do you salt the rims of the glasses?
- How to make the Cadillac Margarita on the rocks
- Shaking the Cadillac Margarita
- Other popular margaritas on Dishes Delish:
- Recipe Video
- Related Posts
The History of my Cadillac Margarita
When I worked at that Mexican restaurant all those years ago, this was the best margarita that you could purchase. It had a few mid range ingredients and it came with a side shot of Grand Marnier, which is considered premium. I wanted to recreate that delicious cocktail for the blog, but instead of using the liquors they did, I upped the game and use the ingredients I love the most.
The above photo shows the empty side shots. I floated them in the cocktails, although the Grand Marnier doesn’t stay afloat; it delicately slinks down into the glass. If you stir the Cadillac margarita, it will turn a lovely golden color!
What is a Cadillac margarita?
Back in the day, the Cadillac car was considered premium and the car everyone wanted to own. The Cadillac margarita is the premium margarita made with premium ingredients. The combination of these ingredients is perfect and delicious. Everyone I’ve served this margarita to, says it’s the best. This truly is, and continue to be, the best margarita of all time.
Do I make the Cadillac margarita on the rocks or can I have it frozen?
If I had my druthers, I’d tell you to only have this margarita on the rocks. I have seen someone drink a frozen caddy (my nickname of the margarita) but I think that having it frozen doesn’t really highlight how delicious it is. It also tends to water the margarita down because blending the ice causes the water to disperse quicker than with ice cubes.
And did you know that people drink frozen drinks much faster than cocktails made on the rocks? They do. It’s because people see the separation that occurs in a frozen drink, so they take their straw and stir it around and take a healthy slug each time they stir, which is often.
When you drink the Cadillac margarita on the rocks, you can savor the drink by sipping it at your own rate.
What are these premium ingredients?
The premium ingredients are the Patron Silver tequila, which is so smooth that you can take a shot of it without needing lime to chase it down (although that’s super fun and tasty!) and the Cointreau, which is one of the premium orange liqueurs. Non-premium ingredients are lime juice and simple syrup.
The last but not the least premium ingredient is the Grand Marnier, which makes this margarita a Cadillac. I love this liqueur. It is made with cognac and orange.
Tips for Mixing the Margarita
- Use the BEST ingredients you can afford, but just know that using premium ingredients equal a more delicious drink
- Always make your own sweet and sour mix. I prefer a 2:1 ratio, so two parts sour to one part sweet. Start there and if you decide you want it sweeter, add a bit more simple syrup
- Always serve the Grand Marnier on the side, especially when you serve to guests. They’ll be quite impressed when they pour the shot into the Cadillac margarita themselves
- Salt the rim, but don’t overdo it! Sometimes, after I salt the rim, I take my finger and clear a spot so if someone doesn’t want to taste the salt they can use that spot to sip
- Do NOT pour the liquid in such a way that it hits the salt. You do not want the salt washed into the cocktail
What is the ratio best to use for sweet and sour mix?
I prefer the 2:1 ratio between the lime and simple syrup, because any more sugar than that, in my humble opinion, makes the drink too sweet. And sweet is for chocolate! Also, Cointreau and Grand Marnier are both sweet liqueurs that balance the tequila and sour mix nicely.
How do you salt the rims of the glasses?
Wet the rim of the glasses with some lime juice, pour some kosher salt on a plate and dip the rim in the salt. Keep the glass upside down for a moment and shake the glass a little before placing it right side up. You don’t want the salt from the rim to fall into the glass as it makes the cocktail salty.
How to make the Cadillac Margarita on the rocks
Fill a cocktail shaker 3/4 way with ice. Slice a few thin lime wheels and cut a small slit through the skin of the wheels so you can place it on the side of the glass as garnish.
After measuring out each ingredient below, pour it into the shaker.
Gather the ingredients – tequila, Cointreau, limes, simple syrup and Grand Marnier.
Measure 4 ounces of tequila. (1)
Measure 2 ounces Cointreau. (2)
Squeeze and measure 4 ounces fresh lime juice. (3)
Measure 2 ounces simple syrup. (4)
Pour 1 ounce of Grand Marnier in each shot glasses. (5)
Shaking the Cadillac Margarita
Cap the shaker and shake for 30 seconds!! Stick a few big cubes in the glasses and pour the Cadillac margarita equally between the two glasses. Mustn’t play favorites.
Here are the Cadillac margaritas, shots on the side.
Now with the Grand Marnier poured in. It gives them an appealing glow!
Here is my original photo of the Cadillac margarita.
Here’s the vertical view of the Cadillac margarita.
I hope you enjoyed this Cadillac margarita recipe.
I would love to hear what kind of tequila you like and why, so leave me a comment. 🙂
Other popular margaritas on Dishes Delish:
And as always, may all your dishes/drinks be delish!
If you’ve tried this Cadillac margarita or any other recipe on the blog, I’d love the hear what you thought about it in the comments below. I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more of my delicious food and delightful cocktails!
This ultimate Cadillac margarita is a mixture of premium liquors and delicious because of it! This is the best margarita I've ever had.
- 4 ounces Patron Silver tequila or other brand
- 2 ounce Cointreau or triple sec
- 4 ounces fresh lime juice
- 2 ounce simple syrup
- 2 ounce Grand Marnier divided
- 2 lime wheels
- salt for glass rims
Fill your shaker 3/4 full with ice
Add tequila, Cointreau, lime juice and simple syrup
- Wet rim of glass with water or lime juice
- Dip glass into plate of Kosher salt
Pour 1 ounce of Gran Marnier into each shot glass, set aside
Cap shaker and shake for 30 seconds
Add extra ice to both glasses and pour contents of the shaker equally between the two glasses, being careful not to pour it over the salted rims
Put lime wheels on the rim of the glasses
Set shots of Gran Marnier beside glass of margarita
Pour Grand Marnier into margarita or do it as a shot
- Lick some salt off rim
- Sip drink
Tips on making the Cadillac margarita
- Use the BEST ingredients you can afford. Premium ingredients equal a more delicious drink
- Always make your own sweet and sour. I prefer a 2:1 ratio, so two parts sour to one part sweet. Start there and if you decide you want it sweeter, add a bit more simple syrup
- Always serve the Grand Marnier on the side, especially when you serve to guests. They're quite impressed when they pour the shot into the Cadillac margarita themselves
- Salt the rim, but don't overdo it! Sometimes, after I salt the rim, I take my finger and clear a spot so if someone doesn't want to taste the salt they can use that spot to sip
- Do NOT pour the liquid in such a way that it hits the salt. You do not want to wash salt into the cocktail