This is my versatile apple and beet salad recipe. So delicious and very pretty! Not to mention healthy, yes, there is always that!
This apple and beet salad is versatile because you can either eat it warm or cold and it’s delicious both ways!!
I’m always making different types of salad because I have had numerous garden-style salads in my life. Yes, I know, you probably have too. But as I was a vegetarian for many years, I pretty much had a garden salad every day for over nine years.
I realized about half way through those nine years – yes, sometimes I take a little longer to learn my lessons – that I needed variety if I was going to continue to eat salads and not give them up altogether. Forever.
Today’s recipe is one of those salad variations.
Tips on making the salad:
- Make sure to wash the beets well. I run the water over them and use a brush to get them clean
- Do not cut the tops off the beets as that will release the juice while they are baking
- I love macintosh apples and so I use them in salads all the time. As you know, macintosh apples cook easily! If you like crunchier apples, use either granny smiths or some other, firmer apple.
How to make apple and beet salad
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit and get a baking dish.
Gather the ingredients – beets, shallots, garlic cloves and apples.
Take a brush and scrub the beets and cut off the tops, leaving a 2 inch stem. Leave the bottom as is.
Drizzle olive oil on the bottom of the baking dish and place the beets in the dish. Drizzle more oil on top of the beets, and shake on some salt.
Cover the baking dish with foil and pop the beets in the oven for 30 minutes.
Five minutes before the beets are ready, peel and cut the shallots and and chop the garlic. (A)
Take the baking dish out of the oven, uncover it and flip the beets before adding the shallots and garlic. (B)
Cover the baking dish again and place it back in the oven and set the timer for 20 minutes.
Five minutes before the timer dings, wash the apples and cut them into slices.
Place the apples in the baking dish with the beets, shallots and garlic. (C)
Cover the dish again with foil and place it in the oven for 10 minutes. (D)
Scoop the whole thing out of the baking dish so it doesn’t continue cooking and separate the beets, placing them on a dish.
You can either wait for the beets to cool before you remove the skin, or do as I do. I put on some disposable gloves so I don’t stain my hands and pick up these hot coals and cut the top and bottom off of the beets and remove the skin with a paper towel.
I used to wait for the beets to cool so handling them would be easier, but I am impatient. I also used to use my knife to remove the skin but I read somewhere it is faster and easier to use the paper towel and man, it sure is!!
Cut up the beets
Cut the beets into random chunks and place them in a shallow serving dish. If you would like your beets more uniform go for it, but I’m into free-form. (E)
Spoon the apple mixture on top of the beets. (F)
Slice some mozzarella balls and lay them on top of the apple and beet salad.
For a light dressing, I dribble some olive oil and balsamic vinegar on top.
This here apple and beet salad is ready to serve. I grab a little plate and spoon some on.
Red is my favorite color
I love that the beets turn everything red. So pretty.
Christopher loves this apple and beet salad!
I hope you enjoyed this recipe as much as we enjoy eating it.
Other popular salads
And as always, may all your dishes be delish!
If you’ve tried this or any other recipe on the blog, I’d love the hear what you thought about it in the comments below. I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more of my delicious food and delightful cocktails!
Versatile Apple and Beet Salad
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- 3 beets stem cut off, leaving 2 inches of stems
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 2 large shallots cut in slices
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 apples washed and sliced
- 3 slices Fresh mozzarella you chose the amount
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 425 F
- Dribble olive oil in the bottom of a medium baking dish, add beets and dribble more oil over the beets. Sprinkle salt over beets and cover baking dish with foil
- Bake for 30 minutes
- Uncover beets, flip them over, add sliced shallots and garlic, put foil back on dish and place back into oven and set timer for 20 minutes
- Add apples, cover again with foil and place back in the oven and bake for 10 minutes
- Remove foil and transfer contents out of baking dish and onto a plate. Separate the beets from the rest of the mixture
- Cut ends of beets and use a paper towel to peel them
- Cut beets into chunks and place chunks on a serving dish
- Add shallots and apple mixture on the beets
- Place mozzarella slices on the salad
- Dribble oil and vinegar on beet salad