Shepherd’s Pie Casserole
This shepherd’s pie casserole recipe is a delightful twist on a cozy cold weather classic. Made with spiced ground beef, veggies, cheese, and soft baked yams, this easy 45-minute dinner is comfort food at its finest.
This fun version of cottage pie is not only delicious, but the combination of all the ingredients, make for a comfort meal that is nutritious and has a taste that is out of this world. It’s the ultimate comfort food.
I had shepherd’s pie casserole years ago and I didn’t like it. I think it was because it felt like a big plate of mush.
I love the ingredients of what goes in a pie but I guess I didn’t like it mixed together.
Years later, at an overnight at my sister-in-law’s house, she shared a home cooked gourmet meal with us. It is shepherd’s pie casserole.
I am a good guest though so I dutifully take a bite.
Surprisingly, I am loving it. Between bites, I am also asking questions about it.
She didn’t know the recipe as her friend cooks for her once a week. So, I decide I’m going to just try to replicate it.
Ingredients and substitutes
- Olive oil – extra virgin.
- Ground beef – grass-fed.
- Onion – large. I use the vidalia variety but you can use yellow onion if you prefer.
- Beef broth – if you don’t have any on hand, you can use chicken broth.
- Yams – I enjoy yams on top but if you prefer mashed potatoes, feel free to substitute them.
- Cumin – ground.
- Oregano – ground. You can use either thyme, basil, or even rosemary.
- Salt – sea salt.
- Black pepper – ground.
- Garlic – I use paste, but you can use the equal amount of garlic cloves.
- Kale – optional.
- Cheddar cheese – shredded. I shred it myself but you can buy it pre-shredded.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I get a small commission if you click the link and buy something. You can read my disclosure here.
- I wanted to keep the yams as ‘whole’ as I could, so I chose not to peel them or mash them, but if you prefer mashed potatoes yams on top, then go for it.
- Bake the yams before you start the meal. I bake mine in my toaster oven.
- Here’s how to bake the yams: The yams take 45 minutes to bake. I won’t add the time to the recipe card. With a sharp knife, slice into the yam at least 6 times and cover with foil. Bake at 375 for 45 minutes. You can bake the yams a few hours before you make the shepherd’s pie.
- You can use fresh corn if you prefer. I use frozen, that way I can eat this year round.
- You can substitute the kale with spinach if you prefer.
- Even though I use corn, kale, and onion as the main vegetables. You can add carrots, or peas.
- For this recipe I use white cheddar cheese but you can use orange cheese if you prefer.
How to make a shepherd’s pie casserole
Bake two yams for 45 minutes or until soft.
Also get a casserole dish and a deep sauté pan.
Gather the ingredients – grass-fed beef, a large onion, beef broth, and two freshly baked yams. (A)
Chop the onion in medium sized pieces.
Heat the deep pan on medium heat and once that heats up, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add onion and sauté for 5 minutes.
Add the ground beef, salt, cumin, oregano, and garlic paste and continue to sauté for 5 minutes. (B) Use a metal spatula to break up the ground beef while it cooks.
You want the beef on the rare side.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
Cut the freshly cooked yams in thin slices and get the corn out of the freezer. (C)
Add broth to the meat mixture and bring to a simmer. Stir in the corn and simmer for 2 minutes.
Pour meat mixture into the baking dish and take out the kale. (D)
Take a few handfuls of kale and place them on top of the meat mixture. (E)
Layer the yams on the kale and shred cheddar cheese on top. (F)
Bake for 25 minutes.
I hope you enjoyed this Shepherd’s Pie Casserole recipe! Christopher and I certainly enjoy this meal.
Other casserole recipes
And as always, may all your dishes be delish!
If you’ve tried this or any other recipe on the blog, I’d love the hear what you thought about it in the comments below. I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more of my delicious food and delightful cocktails!
Shepherds Pie Casserole
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 pound ground beef grass-fed
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 teaspoons garlic paste or 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 cup corn fresh or frozen
- 1 cup kale a few handfuls
- 2 baked yams cut into thin slices, lengthwise
- 1/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- You can bake the yams a few hours before starting the recipe, or you can start baking them a half hour before starting the recipe. – see notes on how.
- Heat up your sauté pan on medium heat and once that heats up, add oil.1 tablespoons olive oil
- Add onions and sauté for 5 minutes.1 onion
- Add beef, salt, cumin, oregano and garlic paste and sauté for 5 more minutes.1 pound ground beef, 1 teaspoon cumin, 2 teaspoons oregano, 2 teaspoons garlic paste, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Add broth and let it come to a simmer, add corn and cook for 2 minutes.1 cup beef broth, 1 cup corn
- Pour meat mixture in baking dish.
- Spread kale over meat mixture.1 cup kale
- Place yam slices over kale covering it completely and sprinkle cheddar over the yams.2 baked yams, 1/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- Bake for 25 minutes
- Let rest for 5 minutes before cutting into the shepherd’s pie
- Plate with a veggie