This blog has been compensated by BrandBacker and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #ParmesanAmbassador #parmigianoreggiano #theonlyparmesan #Sponsored
This mushroom rice casserole recipe is easy and delicious. I usually make this for dinner parties because everyone loves it and gobbles this delicious rice dish up fast. One of the best things is the parmesan laced through it and melted on top.
Being a food blogger is fun. Sometimes you’re chosen to get free product to use in your recipes. I received 3 huge wedges of this delicious Parmigiano Reggiano cheese. THREE! I opened the box, rejoiced and did a little happy dance around the kitchen.
This cheese is so amazingly delicious. I could actually pick up one of the wedges of Parmigiano cheese and take bites out of it and be perfectly happy.
There are not many Parmesan cheeses I can do that with. And you know what? Even kids like this cheese. Another fun thing is there are only 3 ingredients: milk, salt and rennet.
Did you know that Parmigiano Reggiano is made by a collective of 400 farmers in the Parma region of Italy and that they and their ancestors have been making this Parmesan cheese for over eight centuries?
Me either. Until now, that is.
The cheese is produced exclusively in the provinces of Parma, Reggio Emilia, Modena and parts of the provinces of Mantua and Bologna. You know you are getting the real deal when you can see the pinholes on the rind. Words can’t describe how heavenly it is to unwrap these wedges of cheese and enjoy their fresh, pungent aroma.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I get a small commission, at no additional cost to you, if you click the link and buy something. You can read my disclosure here.
How to make mushroom rice casserole
Gather the ingredients – parmesan cheese, onion, rice, chicken broth and mushrooms.
Add 2.5 cups chicken broth to a saucepan and heat it on medium high and bring to a boil.
Add 1 cup of rice and salt to the broth and once it comes to another boil, lower to a simmer and cover the pan. Cook for 50 minutes.
Cut a large onion into chunks and slice the mushrooms a little smaller.
Once the oil shimmers, add the onions and sauté for 8 minutes.
Add the mushrooms and garlic and sauté them for 5 minutes.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
By now the rice is done.
Add the rice to the wok or sauté pan and mix it with the vegetables until everything is incorporated.
Shave off some slices and grate about ¼ cup of the Parmigiano Reggiano cheese.
Spoon half of the rice mixture into the casserole dish and sprinkle most of the grated cheese onto the rice.
Layer the rest of the rice over the cheese layer.
Lay the slivers of Parmigiano Reggiano on top of the rice and sprinkle on the rest of the grated cheese.
Pour ½ cup of chicken broth over the rice casserole, cover it and bake it for 40 minutes.
All that is left is to serve it.
I hope you enjoyed this Mushroom Rice Casserole recipe.
And as always, may all your dishes be delish!
If you’ve tried this or any other recipe on the blog, I’d love the hear what you thought about it in the comments below. I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more of my delicious food and delightful cocktails!
Mushroom Rice Casserole | Cheesy Parmesan
- 1 cup rice rinsed
- 2.5 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion large, sliced into chunks
- 16 ounces mushrooms sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- .50 cup freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese grated and 8 or so slivers of shaved parmesan
- .50 cup chicken broth
- Pour 2 ½ cups chicken broth in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil on medium heat
- Add rice and salt, bring it back to a boil. Lower to a simmer and cook for 50 minutes
- While the rice is cooking, heat a sauté pan on medium and add olive oil
- Once the oil shimmers, add onions and sauté for 8 minutes
- Add mushrooms and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes
- Preheat oven to 375 F
- Once the rice is done, spoon it into your sauté pan with the veggies and mix until combined
- Spoon half of the rice mixture into a medium casserole dish and sprinkle most the grated parmesan cheese on top
- Spoon the rest of the rice mixture on top and strategically lay the shaved Parmigiano Reggiano on top and sprinkle the rest of the parmesan cheese on top of that
- Pour ½ cup of chicken broth on top
- Cover casserole dish and place in the oven and bake for 40 minutes
- Plate rice with a main course or eat it as a main course