Ground chicken meatballs are moist, juicy, and ready in just 15 minutes. These delicious gluten-free meatballs are perfect for serving with spaghetti, salad, or as a healthy appetizer for your next game day party.
Once, not too long ago, when I made these ground chicken balls, I was on auto-pilot and instead of grabbing Worcestershire sauce, I picked up the soy sauce bottle and liberally poured it into the meatball mixture.
I saw what I had done and nearly poured it out of the mixture, but instead thought to myself, “Hmmm, this could be interesting.” Sure enough, the flavor of these moist chicken meatballs, I decided it wasn’t a mistake but a delightful inspiration disguised as an error. I continue to make these meatballs just like this and haven’t looked back.
The other secret ingredient is almond flour. I wanted to lessen my gluten and carbohydrate intake but if you don’t have almond flour, you can use either regular breadcrumbs or Panko breadcrumbs and still get moist and flavorful meatballs!
Be warned that Worcestershire sauce and soy sauce usually have gluten so this easy recipe is not gluten free.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I get a small commission, at no additional cost to you, if you click the link and buy something. You can read my disclosure here.
- You can substitute any ground meat like ground turkey, ground beef, and ground pork for this recipe but I’ve found that when I use chicken, it makes for the moistest meatballs.
- I use dried basil and tarragon for the herbs but if you’d like to substitute oregano or parsley instead of basil, go for it.
- Even though I add soy sauce which has sodium, I find that I need to add ½ teaspoon of salt.
- You could use a spatula to mix the ingredients together, but I use my hands because I want to feel the texture as I work with the meat.
- The meatballs tend to be somewhat sticky when you form the balls. It makes for moist meatballs.
- To make this truly gluten free, use a gluten free Worcestershire and soy sauce.
- These meatballs keep in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Just place them in an airtight glass container. You can even freeze them for up to 3 months.
How to make ground chicken meatballs
Get out a large mixing bowl, sauté pan and spatula.
Gather the ingredients – lean ground chicken, almond flour, flax seed, garlic powder, onion powder, basil, tarragon, an egg, mustard, soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce.
Grab a large bowl and place all the ingredients in it. I start out with ½ a cup of almond flour/or breadcrumbs but I usually have to add more. All told, it probably ends up being ¾ of a cup.
Take a dollop of chicken mixture in your hands, roll it between your palms and place each meatball on a large plate until all the mixture is gone. The meatballs should be about 1 and ½ inches in diameter.
Heat up a heavy sauté pan and put a few tablespoons of olive oil in it. Once the oil has heated up place all of the meatballs in the pan and start frying them.
Stand there as they cook and turn them every few minutes so each side browns up. They take around 10 minutes to fully cook.
All that is left is to plate them and serve them. This chicken meatball recipe is perfect with garlic pasta or zucchini noodles to make it even healthier.
I hope you enjoyed this ground chicken meatballs recipe.
Do you prefer chicken, turkey or beef meatballs? Leave me a comment to tell me.
Other popular meatball recipes
And as always, may all your dishes be delish!
If you’ve tried this recipe, I’d love the know what you thought about it in the comments below. I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more of my delicious food and delightful cocktails!
Ground Chicken Meatballs
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- ½ cup almond flour (½ – ¾ cup – depending on the consistency)
- 1 tablespoons olive oil (for sautéing)
- In a large bowl place ground chicken and add the rest of the ingredients – start with ½ cup of almond flour, add more if it is too wet.1 pound ground chicken, 1 teaspoon mustard, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce, 1 tablespoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon onion powder, 1 teaspoon dried oregano, 1 teaspoon dried basil, 1 teaspoon dried tarragon, ½ teaspoon salt, 1 egg, ½ cup almond flour
- Mix with hands, then roll chicken mixture between palms into 1 ½ inch in diameter meatballs.
- Heat heavy sauté pan. Add 1 tablespoon oil and once that has heated up, place the meatballs in the pan.1 tablespoons olive oil
- Stand over them and flip as it browns, browning all sides. Cook for 10 minutes total.
Originally published in March of 2016.