Mexican crema is tangy, spicy, and deliciously creamy. This versatile condiment makes the perfect topping for everything from tacos to burgers and even salads!
There is a newish Mexican restaurant in the next town over that I love. And although I’ve eaten and made Mexican crema before, I’d never eaten it as a ‘salsa’ or dip. This restaurant serves their chips with three different salsas and when I dipped my chip in their Mexican crema sauce, I was hooked.
I’ve tried to duplicate their sauce and I think I succeeded. Although my Mexican crema is slightly thicker than theirs, it is still the perfect condiment. The reason I like it thicker is because I usually drape it over hot foods like quesadillas. As it warms, it thins out perfectly instead of getting too thin.
What is Mexican crema?
Mexican crema is a condiment used much like sour cream or French crème fraîche to complement many dishes. The difference is that crema has a nice spice and slight tang.
How easy is it to make?
Like a lot of my recipes, it’s so easy. Just place all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and whisk them together.
The hardest part is waiting the four hours it takes as it rests on the counter to thicken.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I get a small commission, at no additional cost to you, if you click the link and buy something. You can read my disclosure here.
Ingredients and substitutes
- Heavy cream – You must use heavy cream because light cream will yield a thinner crema and we like it thick.
- Sour cream – I always use full fat, though low fat would work just as well.
- Lime juice – Freshly squeezed is the way to go.
- Chipotle powder – If you’re not familiar with this delightful spice, it has a smokey flavor that is very satisfying. I use only ¼ teaspoon but if you like it really spicy, use ½ teaspoon or even more if you can stand the heat. If you don’t have chipotle powder, you could substitute regular chili powder but just know that you won’t have the smokey flavor that is associated with chipotles.
- Salt – Only a dash is needed.
- Always wash limes before using them. Here’s how: use a natural, unscented hand soap. Squirt some soap in your hands and rub them over the fruit. Next, take a vegetable brush and brush the skin as you run cold water over the limes. Make sure all the soap has been rinsed off before cutting into the limes.
- This Mexican crema lasts for up to two weeks (or more) when stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
How to make this recipe
Gather the ingredients – heavy cream, sour cream, lime, chipotle powder and salt.
Add one cup of heavy cream to the mixing bowl.
Measure a heaping tablespoon of sour cream.
Squeeze a lime and measure 1 tablespoon of the juice.
Measure ¼ teaspoon of chipotle powder.
Add a pinch of salt.
Whisk for about a minute or until it is combined.
Now, here’s the hard part: cover the bowl loosely with plastic wrap and let it rest on the counter for four hours. During that time, it will thicken.
Transfer to a jar and either use it right away or store it in the fridge for up to two weeks.
I dribble my new batch of Mexican crema over the beans.
I hope you enjoyed this Mexican crema recipe! It’s the perfect condiment and spices up any dish.
Other recipes to use this crema
And as always, may all your dishes be delish.
If you’ve tried this recipe, I’d love the know what you thought about it in the comments below. I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more of my delicious food and delightful cocktails!
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon sour cream (heaping)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice (freshly squeezed)
- .25 teaspoon chipotle powder
- dash salt
- Add heavy cream, sour cream, lime juice, chipotle powder and salt to the mixing bowl
- Whisk for around a minute or until combined
- Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rest on the counter for four hours. It will thicken during this time
- Dollop on some tacos or a quesadilla