Get ready to be transported to the tropics with this electric blue margarita. All you need is tequila, blue Curacao, lime juice, and simple syrup to make this refreshing summer cocktail recipe.
If you want to wow your guests, serve them these delicious and easy blue margaritas. It tastes like a classic traditional margarita, but it’s much colorful and pretty.
I make this electric blue marg whenever I want a pop of color at my cocktail party.
Is blue curaçao liqueur the same as triple sec?
Yes. The only difference between the two is a natural blue dye is added to triple sec. So, blue curacao tastes like orange, just as triple sec does.
Does this margarita need premium ingredients?
Use the best you can afford. I prefer to make cocktails with at least mid-level ingredients, but if I don’t have the budget, use the best you can afford.
Why do I advocate homemade sweet and sour?
Homemade sweet and sour mix is always the way to go. Why? Because the mix you get in the store is unbearably sweet. At least to me.
Once you make your own sour mix, you will never go back.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I get a small commission if you click the link and buy something. You can read my disclosure here.
- Use the best ingredients you can find, just know that blue Curacao is not premium and there is no substitute.
- Always make your own sweet and sour mix as you can control the ingredients. I find store bought sweet and sour way too sweet. I like more of a sour mixture with a hint of sweet. So for this margarita, try using a 2:1 ratio sour to sweet, if it isn’t sweet enough, you can always add more simple syrup but if it’s it too sweet, you can’t take it away.
- Save money and make your own simple syrup. Here’s how: Add equal parts (usually I do 1 cup of water to 1 cup of white sugar) to a saucepan. Turn the heat under the pan to medium and stir as you bring it to a boil and cook for 5 minutes.
- I don’t salt the rim of my glasses for this margarita. But, if you’d like a salt rim, here’s how to do it: Add a chunky kosher salt or flake Maldon salt to a small plate. Dip your finger in simple syrup and rub it around the rim of the glass. With the glass upside down, dip it into the salt, making sure to add as much salt as you like. Shake any excess salt off before turning the glassware right-side up.
How to make a blue margarita
This recipe is for one cocktail, multiply the ingredients by how many margaritas you’re going to make.
After each ingredient is measured, add them to the ice filled cocktail shaker.
Gather the ingredients: tequila, limes, blue Curacao, and simple syrup. (I added Cointreau in the background because I want the brand to make a blue version.) 😉
Measure 2 ounces tequila. (A)
Measure 1 ounce blue Curacao. (B)
Measure one ounce fresh lime juice. (C)
Measure ½ ounce of simple syrup. (D)
Cap the shaker and shake it for at least 15 seconds.
Add ice to the glass and pour the blue margarita into it. I cut lime wheel and stick one on the side of the glass.
I have since remade this delicious blue margarita and wanted to update the photos. The recipe is still for one blue margarita, but you’ll see three of them in different shaped glasses.
Which is your favorite?
Doesn’t that look GOOD? Yum! Let’s look at the vertical view of the electric blue margarita cocktail.
And the obligatory aerial view.
I hope you enjoyed this blue margarita recipe as much as I loved drinking it.
Would you please leave me a comment! Tell me what your favorite margarita is!
And as always, may all your dishes/drinks be delish!
If you’ve tried this or any other recipe on the blog, I’d love the hear what you thought about it in the comments below. I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more of my delicious food and delightful cocktails!
Blue Margarita Cocktail
- 2 ounces tequila I used Patron Silver
- ¾ ounce blue Curacao
- 1 ounce lime juice freshly squeezed
- ½ ounce simple syrup
- lime wheel
- Fill your cocktail shaker halfway with ice.
- Add tequila, blue Curacao, lime juice and simple syrup.2 ounces tequila, ¾ ounce blue Curacao, 1 ounce lime juice, ½ ounce simple syrup
- Cap shaker and shake for 15 seconds.
- Add fresh ice to the glass and pour the contents into margarita glass. Place lime wheel on the side of the glass.lime wheel