This is my lovely luscious mushroom soup recipe. I originally got this recipe from my dad, although his version is a cream of mushroom soup.
If you have been following this blog, you will know that Christopher, my darling husband, is lactose intolerant, so cream based soups are totally out. That is if I want him to eat them. And I do, so I modify them to suit his needs.
Err, I mean our needs.
I love mushrooms. LOVE. Not as much as my sister Denise though, she LOOOVVEESS mushrooms. See the difference?
FLASHBACK and Nothing to do with this Lovely Luscious Mushroom Soup
Hmm. Why do I do that? I identify things with who likes them better. For instance, I always thought I loved peanut butter more than Christopher, but I have recently re-evaluated and Christopher indeed loves it more than I do. I know I like a certain brand of peanut butter more than he does, but that’s because it has sugar in it. It’s also because I grew up eating that brand.
As an adult, I try to avoid brands with sugar added in general, so now we get either natural peanut butters or freshly ground. I still love it, but Christopher surpasses me.
Hey, I may be growing up! I don’t need to announce that I love something more than others.
Oh-oh, or have I? Since I just wrote about it. Oh well, baby steps.
On to the recipe:
Cooking the Lovely Luscious Mushroom Soup
Time to take out the ingredients. I grab my large saucepan, some sliced portobello mushrooms, shiitake mushrooms, a small chopped onion and butter.
I turn the heat to medium under the saucepan and add the butter. Once it melts, I add the onions. I sauté them for 8 minutes.
Now I add the mushrooms and stand there and stir them as they sauté for 5 minutes.
Time to add the chicken broth, thyme, salt and pepper.
I let the soup come to a simmer and then lower the heat under the pan so it will continue to simmer for 10 minutes.
I transfer the soup to a tureen and it’s time to serve it!
Here it is before the garnish.
And now after the sour cream is dolloped on.
Sour cream is my friend. 🤗
I hope you enjoyed this recipe.
Please feel free to leave me a comment, Pin any photo to Pinterest and Yum the recipe to Yummly!
Yields 4 - 5 Cups
This delicious soup is incredibly easy and satisfying!
5 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
35 minTotal Time
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1, 10 ounce package of sliced portobello mushrooms
- 1, 5 ounce package of sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Few shakes of pepper
- Sour cream for garnish (optional)
- Heat medium to large saucepan on medium heat
- Add butter, once melted add onion and sauté for 8 minutes or until almost translucent
- Add mushrooms and stir while they sauté for 5 minutes
- Add chicken broth, thyme, salt and pepper and let the mixture almost come to a boil, lower temperature and simmer for 10 minutes
- Either transfer to a soup tureen or ladle right out of the pan into your soup bowls
- Put a few dollops of sour cream on top if you would like
- Spoon some soup in your mouth