This is my creamy mushroom soup recipe. I originally got this recipe from my dad, although his version is a cream of mushroom soup.
If you have been following this blog, you will know that Christopher, my darling husband, is lactose intolerant, so cream based soups are totally out. That is if I want him to eat them. And I do, so I modify them to suit his needs.
Err, I mean our needs.
I love mushrooms. LOVE. Not as much as my sister Denise though, she LOOOVVEESS mushrooms. See the difference?
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I get a small commission, at no additional cost to you, if you click the link and buy something. You can read my disclosure here.
How to cook creamy mushroom soup
Time to take out the ingredients. I grab my Dutch oven, some sliced portobello mushrooms, shiitake mushrooms, a small chopped onion and butter.
I turn the heat to medium under the saucepan and add the butter. Once it melts, I add the onions. I sauté them for 8 minutes.
Now I add the mushrooms and stand there and stir them as they sauté for 5 minutes.
Time to add the chicken broth, thyme, salt and pepper.
I let the soup come to a simmer and then lower the heat under the pan so it will continue to simmer for 10 minutes.
I transfer the soup to a tureen and it’s time to serve it!
Here it is before the garnish.
And now after the sour cream is dolloped on.
Sour cream is my friend.
I hope you enjoyed this recipe.
More delicious soups
And as always, may all your dishes be delish!
Creamy Mushroom Soup
- 1/2 cup butter
- 10 ounces portobello mushrooms sliced
- 5 ounces shiitake mushrooms sliced
- 1 small onion chopped
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/16 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon Sour cream for garnish
- Heat medium to large saucepan on medium heat
- Add butter, once melted add onion and sauté for 8 minutes or until almost translucent
- Add mushrooms and stir while they sauté for 5 minutes
- Add chicken broth, thyme, salt and pepper and let the mixture almost come to a boil, lower temperature and simmer for 10 minutes
- Either transfer to a soup tureen or ladle right out of the pan into your soup bowls
- Put a few dollops of sour cream on top if you would like
- Spoon some soup in your mouth