This delicious butter shortbread cookies recipe bakes a nice crispy cookie that you can dunk in a cup of coffee or tea and not have it break into pieces!
What does shortbread remind you of? Is it a childhood memory? Please let me know in the comment section.
Shortbread is a cookie I’ve always loved. My grandmother Bena used to eat shortbread cookies dunked in her coffee, which means, we used to eat shortbread cookies dunked in coffee. Nana lived downstairs from my family in our two family home and we kids used to take turns staying overnight to keep her company. One of the reasons we loved to sleep down there, other than visiting with her, was the food.
She used to serve us warm decaf coffee – with tons of evaporated milk in it – and cookies. Either shortbread or Fig Newtons or Vienna Fingers or whatever she had in the pantry. What luxury!
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I get a small commission, at no additional cost to you, if you click the link and buy something. You can read my disclosure here.
- Take the butter out at least an hour before you start on the cookies
- Use good quality chocolate to dip the cookies into
- These cookies freeze well and make great gifts during the holiday
- Bake times may varies as all ovens are different
- Once the cookies get slightly brown around the edges, they are done
How to make butter shortbread cookies
Gather the ingredients – butter, flour, sugar and vanilla. (A)
Place butter and confectioner’s sugar in mixer and mix until combined. Add flour and vanilla and mix until combined.
Take a scoopful of dough in your hand and roll into a ball and place on the cookie sheet. Repeat until all the balls are rolled. (B)
Take your palm and press the dough down so it flattens. (C)
Bake for 18 – 20 minutes.
You can remove the cookies off of the cookie sheets right way as they are crispy cookies and not floppy or delicate.
One of the things I love about these cookies is dunking them into chocolate, or dribbling chocolate over them. There can’t be too much chocolate in the world. Still, I leave half of the batch plain for peeps like Christopher.
Oops, I mean, peeps who like their cookies plain.
But let’s see the chocolate ones.
Time to plate some and take a bite.
I hope you enjoyed this butter shortbread cookies recipe!
Other popular cookie recipes
If you’ve tried this recipe, I’d love the know what you thought about it in the comments below. I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more of my delicious food and delightful cocktails!
And as always, may all your dishes be delish!
Butter Shortbread Cookies
- 1 cup butter softened (take out at least an hour before)
- ¾ cup confectioner’s sugar
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup chocolate chips melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Place butter and sugar in stand mixer and mix until combined
- Add flour, salt and vanilla and slowly mix until combined
- Take a small amount of dough and roll a ball of it between your palms and place each ball on the cookie sheets – 16 balls maximum on a sheet
- Take hand and press down on each ball flattening it somewhat
- Place cookie sheet in oven and bake for 20 minutes until golden around the edges
- Dip some cookies into the melted chocolate
- Drizzle some of the chocolate over some of the cookies