This rum swizzle cocktail recipe is so fun and delicious that you’re going to feel like you are a pirate drinking it. All the ingredients together makes for a tropical, refreshing drink.
If you’ve never tasted the rum swizzle before, you are in for a treat. If I were to describe what it tastes like, I would say it has the flavor of a Mai Tai.
It’s fruity, rummy and oh so yummy.
During my research, I found out the rum swizzle is the unofficial cocktail of Bermuda.
The swizzle sticks origin
Did you know that the swizzle stick originally made its appearance in the Caribbean? People used to break off little branches from the Quararibea turbinate tree. Then they would take these small branches, which have many little fingers of wood sticking out of them and stir their drinks with them. Those branches became known as swizzle sticks and the tree became known as the swizzle tree.
People used to place the wood between their palms and briskly rub, causing the stick to rotate in the drink. All those little fingers used to swirl around and do a great job mixing the cocktail. They called it swizzling.
It’s a fun word, isn’t it?
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I get a small commission, at no additional cost to you, if you click the link and buy something. You can read my disclosure here.
- Use a dark and light rum for best results. The dark rum gives you the nice color and the white rum evens out the heaviness of the dark rum.
- For best results, use orange juice without pulp.
- If you make one rum swizzle cocktail, you can make it in a cocktail shaker instead of the big receptacle, but just know, that everyone would love one, so make more than one.
- Use a few different shaped glasses as it shows the cocktail off in fun ways.
How to make a rum swizzle
After measuring out the ingredients, add them to the mixing bowl.
Gather the ingredients – dark rum, light rum, orange juice, pineapple juice, grenadine and bitters. (A)
Measure 3 ounces of Goslings dark rum. (B)
Measure 3 ounces white rum. (C)
Measure 6 ounces of orange juice. (D)
Measure 6 ounces of pineapple juice. (E)
Measure ½ ounce of grenadine. (F)
Stir the mixture with a cocktail spoon.
Add ice to the glasses and divide the liquid between the three glasses.
Shake 4 drops of Angostura Bitters in each cocktail.
Cut two thin orange wheels and cut them both in quarters and cut the rind off of one of them, (that’s the piece that will go in the drink.) Add the garnish to the drinks.
Let’s look at the vertical view.
I hope you enjoyed this rum swizzle cocktail recipe.
Are there any rum drinks you’d love for me to make? Let me know by leaving me a comment.
Other rum cocktails
And as always, may all your dishes/drinks be delish!
If you’ve tried this recipe or any other recipe on the blog, I’d love the hear what you thought about it in the comments below. I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more of my delicious food and delightful cocktails!
Rum Swizzle Cocktail
- 3 ounces dark rum I used Goslings
- 3 ounces white rum
- 6 ounces orange juice
- 6 ounces pineapple juice
- ½ ounce Grenadine
- 4 drops angostura bitters
- 2 thin orange wheels cut in quarters and one with the rind taken off
- Fill a large measuring cup with 2 cups of ice
- Add dark rum, white rum, orange juice, pineapple juice and grenadine and stir until combined
- Place some ice into glasses and pour rum swizzle into the glasses
- Shake in 4 drops of bitters into each glass, also place orange slices on the rims and stick a swizzle stick in as well
- Use a dark and light rum for best results. The dark rum gives you the nice color and the white rum evens out the heaviness of the dark rum
- For best results, use orange juice without pulp
- If you make one rum swizzle cocktail, you can make it in a cocktail shaker instead of the big receptacle, but just know, that everyone would love one, so make more than one
- Use a few different shaped glasses as it shows the cocktail off in fun ways
Originally published in November of 2016.