Scotch lovers, rejoice. The Godfather cocktail requires just two ingredients for a well-balanced and delicious sipper. Grab your scotch and amaretto, then get ready to indulge.
I have never seen The Godfather movies. In fact, I’ve only seen a few minutes of different scenes and only because they were shown during an award show. My theater friends can’t believe I haven’t seen the movies because of the great acting. They just never appealed to me even though the movies have won so many Oscars. For instance, the Oscar for best actor, best film and many more.
If you like scotch, try the rusty nail. It too has only two ingredients – the other one being Drambuie.
I couldn’t find any information on who invented this cocktail. I’m thinking the movies had a big influence in the naming of this cocktail. It became popular in the 1970’s which is when the first Godfather movie came out in the theaters. So that’s what I’m going with.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I get a small commission, at no additional cost to you, if you click the link and buy something. You can read my disclosure here.
- Use the best scotch you can afford and a brand name almond liqueur like Disaronno Amaretto liqueur. Disaronno is an Italian liqueur and has made a premium version called Disaronno liqueur riserva. And although it’s out of my budget at the moment, I’d love to taste it someday.
- I use Monkey Shoulder scotch because it’s a good scotch that won’t break the bank. It is made with three single malt whiskey’s that has been blended together. It’s smooth and can be consumed neat (no ice) or on the rocks. If you want a really good single malt scotch, try Glenfiddich.
- You will be using a 1:1 ratio of the two ingredients. That makes it easier to remember how to make it without looking it up.
- You can either mix this drink directly in your rocks glass and stir it with a cocktail spoon or in a shaker like I do. I love shaken cocktails.
- This smokey, smooth sipping cocktail also makes the perfect nightcap, which is my preference.
- I don’t believe this cocktail needs a garnish, but if you want one, use a lemon rind twist.
- Large ice cubes are perfect for this cocktail. I have this tray to make them.
- Want to read more about the different kinds of whiskey including scotch whisky? Click here for my comprehensive guide.
How to make a godfather cocktail
Fill a cocktail shaker halfway with ice and gather two rocks glasses.
There are only two ingredients and you will be measuring out equal parts of the liquor and once you do, pour them into either your cocktail shaker or glass.
Gather the ingredients – scotch and almond liqueur.
Measure 3 ounces of scotch.
Measure 3 ounces of the almond liqueur.
Cap the shaker and shake for 15 seconds. Place a large ice cube in each glass and divide the contents of the cocktail shaker between the two glasses.
I chose to not use a garnish but you could put a twist of lemon rind, if you like.
Let’s get closer!
Here are two godfather cocktails facing off.
I hope you enjoyed this godfather cocktail recipe as much as I enjoyed sipping it.
Please feel free to comment, what classic cocktail do you really enjoy?
Stay tuned from my godmother cocktail which is a lighter and softer version of the godfather.
Other popular classic cocktails
And as always, may all your dishes/drinks be delish!
If you’ve tried this or any other recipe on the blog, I’d love the hear what you thought about it in the comments below. I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more of my delicious food and delightful cocktails!
- 3 ounces scotch
- 3 ounces Amaretto
- Fill your cocktail shaker half way with ice.
- Add scotch and Amaretto, cap shaker and shake for 15 seconds.3 ounces scotch, 3 ounces Amaretto
- Add a large cube to both glasses and divide the shaker's contents equally between the glasses.
- Use the best scotch you can afford and Disaronno Amaretto. Disaronno liqueur riserva that is premium. I’d love to taste it someday
- You can either mix this drink directly in your rocks glass and stir it with a cocktail spoon or a shaker like I do. I love shaken cocktails
- I don’t believe this cocktail needs a garnish, but if you want one, use a lemon rind twist
- Large ice cubes are perfect for this cocktail. I have this tray to make them
Originally published February of 2017