This is my sister Robyn’s creamy mac and cheese recipe. Look at how creamy and cheesy it is. It makes a delicious hit at any gathering.
This creamy mac and cheese recipe lives up to its name by being cheesy and creamy. It will satisfy your every comfort food craving. Robyn has been making this recipe for years and boy, are we glad she does!
You can make a big batch of this and bring it at pot lucks or family gatherings. It almost always goes.
My sister usually makes this recipe in 5 pound batches and brings the casserole to gatherings. And she’s like the pied piper with the kids running behind her cheering.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I get a small commission, at no additional cost to you, if you click the link and buy something. You can read my disclosure here.
How to make creamy mac and cheese
Get out a medium stockpot and fill it halfway with water and salt and set it to boil.
Once the water comes to a boil add ½ pound of elbows and cook for 8 minutes.
Also preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Gather the ingredients – elbows, flour, butter, cheddar cheese, Velveeta cheese (egads, I love that stuff), milk and Ritz crackers for the topping.
Add milk and stand there and whisk constantly until it thickens.
Add 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar and 1 pound of Velveeta, that has been cut into cubes.
Drain the elbows and place them back in the pot you used to boil them.
Pour the cheese sauce on top of the elbows and mix them all together. Once the elbows are covered with the cheese sauce, transfer it to a medium casserole dish.
Look at how cheesy this recipe is!
Crumble at least eight crackers onto the top of the cheesy goodness.
Now, you can use more crackers if you like or less. Just go by your mood and your taste buds!
Bake it for 35 minutes until it’s nice and bubbly.
I gather some soy honey wings and some sautéed kale to plate with my mac and cheese.
Let’s take a bite.
I hope you enjoyed this creamy mac and cheese recipe as much as my family does.
Other mac and cheese recipes
And as always, may all your dishes be delish!
If you’ve tried this I’d love the hear what you thought about it in the comments below. I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more of my delicious food and delightful cocktails!
Creamy Mac and Cheese Recipe
- .5 pound elbow macaroni
- Salt for water
- .50 cup butter
- .50 cup flour
- 4 cups milk
- 2 cups sharp cheddar shredded
- 1 pound Velveeta cheese cubed
- 8 Ritz crackers or more
- Fill a medium stock pot ½ way with water and set it on to boil. Once it has boiled, salt it and add ½ pound of elbow macaroni, cook 8 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- As the pasta cooks, start the cheese sauce
- Add butter in sauce pan and melt it on medium heat. Once it melts, add flour and whisk until combined.
- Add milk and whisk until the mixture thickens
- Add cheddar and Velveeta and whisk until it is melted
- Drain elbows and stick it in the pan you used to boil it. Pour the cheese sauce on the elbows and stir until the elbows are covered.
- Pour the cheesy elbows in a medium casserole dish
- Crush 8 Ritz crackers and sprinkle on top of macaroni and cheese
- Bake for 35 minutes until it is bubbly
- Spoon out onto a plate
- Eat the mac and cheese
- Smile a cheesy smile