The blend of ingredients in this bourbon cranberry cocktail makes for a fun and satisfying drink! The tartness of the cranberry juice perfectly balances the combined flavors of bourbon, simple syrup and ginger beer.
This cocktail is the perfect drink to serve to guests who love bourbon. Not your typical bourbon blend, it offers a novelty that will inspire their taste buds. The sweetness of the bourbon melds wonderfully with the tartness of the unsweetened cranberry juice and the spicy flavor of ginger beer. Add a dash of simple syrup and you have the perfect cocktail blend.
But you don’t have to wait for a dinner party to make this delicious cocktail. I bet you’ll love it, too.
- I almost exclusively use mid to premium alcohol. The higher quality (and cost) make for a smoother taste.
- Where it is most important to use higher quality is when the cocktail is mostly alcohol, like a martini or Manhattan; but when you are using mixers such as the cranberry juice in this cocktail, you can go with a lower quality brand. (Though I still recommend mid to premium.)
- I like using a pure cranberry juice that hasn’t been sweetened. That way, I can control the amount of sugar I deem appropriate instead of having to settle for the amount of sugar in most cranberry juices on the market.
- If you can’t find unsweetened cranberry juice and use the sweetened version, OMIT the simple syrup.
- I love a more tart cocktail so the amount of simple syrup I use may not be enough for you. I say follow the recipe as written, taste it and if the cocktail isn’t sweet enough, then add simple syrup by half ounce increments.
- I use a cocktail shaker because I love making my cocktails that way, but you can build this cocktail directly in the glass if you prefer.
- When cranberries are available in the store, I buy an extra bag and freeze it for garnish or if I feel like making cranberry infused vodka.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I get a small commission, at no additional cost to you, if you click the link and buy something. You can read my disclosure here.
How to make a bourbon cranberry cocktail
Get a cocktail shaker, measuring glass, 3 double old fashioned glasses and 3 martini picks. Fill cocktail shaker halfway with ice.
After measuring out the ingredients, pour into the cocktail shaker.
Gather the ingredients – bourbon, cranberry juice, simple syrup and ginger beer.
Measure out 4 ounces of bourbon.
Measure 4 ounces cranberry juice.
Measure 1 ounce of simple syrup.
Add extra ice to glasses. Cap shaker, shake for 15 seconds and divide the contents between the three glasses.
Spear 3 cranberries on each martini pick.
Pour ginger beer in each glass all the way to the top and place the garnish on the glasses.
Vertical view of the bourbon cranberry cocktail.
I hope you enjoyed this bourbon cranberry cocktail recipe.
Other cocktails made with cranberry juice
If you’ve tried this Bourbon Cranberry Cocktail recipe, I’d love the know what you thought about it in the comments below. I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more of my delicious food and delightful cocktails!
Bourbon Cranberry Cocktail
- 4 ounces bourbon (I used Knob Creek)
- 4 ounces cranberry juice (unsweetened if you can get it - if not, OMIT the simple syrup)
- 1 ounce simple syrup (I love a more tart/sour cocktail but if you like a sweeter cocktail, adjust to your liking)
- 3 ounces ginger beer (approximate - just pour it out of the can into the glass)
- 9 cranberries
- Fill cocktail shaker halfway with ice and spear 3 cranberries on each martini pick
- Add bourbon, cranberry juice and simple syrup if using unsweetened cranberry juice
- Cap shaker and shake for at least 15 seconds
- Add extra ice cubes to the glasses
- Divide the liquid between each of the glasses
- Pour enough ginger beer to the top off the glasses
- Add garnish to each glass