These marinated bacon wrapped scallops have an outstanding flavor and will make your guests feel special when you serve them. This marinade is a great balance between sweet and salty and a perfect combo for scallops. Now, imagine wrapping these scallops in bacon. Perfection.
Among my all time favorite things in this world are these bacon wrapped scallops. Seriously. I love me some scallops!
When I marinate those delectable round nuggets and then wrap them in bacon – yowza! There is a party going on and everyone is invited.
How I discovered this delicious appetizer
I had been eating bacon wrapped chicken livers forever. It was such a delicacy for me. When I moved away to college, I brought along my trusty toaster oven and yes folks, I made myself bacon wrapped chicken livers – in my dorm room! – more times than I’d like to admit. I always wondered what the other residents on the floor thought when I squirreled myself away in my room and chowed down on those bacon wrapped goodies.
A few years after I graduated, I attended a wedding. Before the meal, waitstaff were walking around with platters of bacon wrapped appetizers and I thought, ‘SCORE!’ But then I noticed something white in the middle of the bacon. Say what? Since when were chicken livers white?!
I snatched one off the waiter’s tray and popped it in my mouth. ‘SCALLOPS?!’ I screamed out in my head. Double score!!
I’ve been making both of those bacon wrapped goodies ever since.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I get a small commission, at no additional cost to you, if you click the link and buy something. You can read my disclosure here.
- Use sea scallops instead of bay scallops because you need hefty scallops and not small scallops.
- Partially cook the bacon for 8 minutes. You want it to still be flexible so you can roll up the scallops.
- Marinate the scallops in a glass bowl and place the container in the fridge. Stir after 15 minutes and continue marinating for 15 more minutes.
- Bacon will shrink so it’s okay if it separates a little. You can re-wrap the scallops or not. No one will care because they are so delicious.
How to make this scallop appetizer
Rinse sea scallops and pat them dry with a paper towel. If your scallops are huge like mine, cut some of the bigger ones in half.
In a mixing bowl, add soy sauce, maple syrup, mustard and garlic paste (or powder) and whisk until combined.
Add scallops to mixing bowl and carefully toss the scallops until they are covered with the marinade.
Transfer scallops to glass container.
While scallops are marinating, preheat oven at 375.
Line a jelly roll pan with foil and lay bacon on the pan and bake for 8 minutes.
Lay bacon on some paper towels and blot to remove grease.
Replace the foil on the jellyroll pan.
Cut the bacon strips in half and wrap the scallops in each half. Use a toothpick to secure the ends of the bacon together and arrange the wrapped scallops on the foil lined pan.
Bake for 8 minutes then flip them and bake for another 7 minutes. (So, bake for a total of 15 minutes.)
Plate and serve
Doesn’t that look yummy? One of the things I love about marinating the scallops is that it flavors them so nicely.
What if the bacon doesn’t overlap?
Bacon shrinks somewhat when cooked thoroughly, so that is normal. Don’t worry, people aren’t going to be inspecting these babies before devouring them. It happens all the time. Sometimes I re-roll the bacon wrapped scallops once they are cooked, but usually, I just leave them as is.
Let’s look at the scallops from an overhead view.
I asked Christopher to be my hand model.
I hope you enjoyed this bacon wrapped scallops recipe!
Other popular appetizer recipes
Please feel free to leave me a comment what is your favorite appetizer?
And as always, may all your dishes be delish!
If you’ve tried this or any other recipe on the blog, I’d love the hear what you thought about it in the comments below. I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more of my delicious food and delightful cocktails!
Bacon Wrapped Scallops
- 1 pound sea scallops cut in half if too big
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste or ½ teaspoon powder
- 12 slices bacon
- Rinse and pat your scallops dry, place in a medium stainless steel mixing bowl
- Add soy sauce, maple syrup, mustard and garlic paste and mix together
- Place in a glass container with a lid and put in the refrigerator for 30 minutes, stirring once at 15 minutes
- Preheat oven to 375
- Line a jellyroll pan with foil, lay the bacon on the foil and bake for 8 minutes
- Remove bacon onto a paper towel and blot the grease off
- Re-line the jellyroll pan with foil
- Cut the bacon in half and wrap a scallop in each half. Secure with a toothpick and line the wrapped scallops on the pan. Bake for 8 minutes and turn scallops and continue to bake for 7 more minutes
- Place all the bacon wrapped scallops on a platter
This recipe was originally posted in June, 2016.