These marinated bacon wrapped scallops have outstanding flavor and will make your guests feel special when you serve them.
Among my all time favorite things in this world are these bacon wrapped scallops. Seriously. I love me some scallops!
When I marinate those delectable round nuggets and then wrap them in bacon – yowza! There is a party going on and everyone is invited!
The only thing in my mind that rivals my love for bacon wrapped scallops is my love for bacon wrapped chicken livers, but that is a totally different blog post, my friends.
How I Discovered Bacon Wrapped Scallops
I had been eating bacon wrapped chicken livers forever. It was such a delicacy for me. When I moved away to college, I brought along my trusty toaster oven and yes folks, I made myself bacon wrapped chicken livers – in my dorm room! – more times than I’d like to admit. I always wondered what the other residents on the floor thought when I squirreled myself away in my room and chowed down on those bacon wrapped goodies.
A few years after I graduated, I attended a wedding. Before the meal, waitstaff were walking around with platters of bacon wrapped appetizers and I thought, ‘SCORE!’ But then I noticed something white in the middle of the bacon. Say what? Since when were chicken livers white?!
I snatched one off the waiter’s tray and popped it in my mouth. ‘SCALLOPS?!’ I screamed out in my head. Double score!!
I’ve been making both of those bacon wrapped goodies ever since.
Tips on making the marinated bacon wrapped scallops:
- Use sea scallops instead of bay scallops because you need hefty scallops and not small scallops
- Partially cook the bacon for 8 minutes. You want it to still be flexible so you can roll up the scallops
- Marinate the scallops in a glass bowl and place the container in the fridge. Stir after 15 minutes and continue marinating for 15 more minutes
- Bacon will shrink so it’s okay if it separates a little. You can re-wrap the scallops or not. No one will care because they are so delicious
How to cook bacon wrapped scallops
I grab a glass container and get ready to marinate the scallops. Marinate for 15 minutes, stir the scallops and put back in the fridge for another 15 minutes.
Preheat oven at 375 and line a jelly roll pan with foil.
Process shots for the bacon wrapped scallops:
- One pound of sea scallops washed, dried and cut in half because the scallops I bought were HUGE
- Marinade (soy sauce, maple syrup, dijon mustard and garlic paste) and sea scallops in the container
- Bacon partially cooked and laid on paper towels to soak up the grease
Replace the foil on the jellyroll pan.
Cut the bacon strips in half and wrap the scallops in them, using a toothpick to secure the ends of the bacon together and arrange the wrapped scallops on it.
Bake for 8 minutes then flip them and bake for another 7 minutes. (So, bake for a total of 15 minutes.)
Plate and Serve the Marinated Bacon Wrapped Scallops
Doesn’t that look delish? One of the things I love about marinating the scallops is that it flavors them so nicely. This marinade is a great balance between sweet and salty – a perfect combo for scallops!
What if the Bacon Doesn’t overlap?
Bacon shrinks somewhat when cooked thoroughly, so that is normal. Don’t worry, people aren’t going to be inspecting these babies before devouring them. It happens all the time. Sometimes I re-roll the bacon wrapped scallops once they are cooked, but usually, I just leave them as is.
Let’s look at the scallops from an overhead view.
Here’s another angle of the plated scallops.
I asked Christopher to be my hand model.
Other popular Appetizer Recipes Dishes Delish?
I hope you enjoyed this bacon wrapped scallops recipe!
Please feel free to leave me a comment what is your favorite appetizer?
And as always, may all your dishes be delish!
If you’ve tried this bacon wrapped scallops or any other recipe on the blog, I’d love the hear what you thought about it in the comments below. I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more of my delicious food and delightful cocktails!
- 1 pound sea scallops cut in half if too big
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste or 1/2 teaspoon powder
- 12 slices bacon
- Rinse and pat your scallops dry, place in a medium stainless steel mixing bowl
Add soy sauce, maple syrup, mustard and garlic paste and mix together
- Place in a glass container with a lid and put in the refrigerator for 30 minutes, stirring once at 15 minutes
- Preheat oven to 375
Line a jellyroll pan with foil, lay the bacon on the foil and bake for 8 minutes
- Remove bacon onto a paper towel and blot the grease off
- Re-line the jellyroll pan with foil
Cut the bacon in half and wrap a scallop in each half. Secure with a toothpick and line the wrapped scallops on the pan. Bake for 8 minutes and turn scallops and continue to bake for 7 more minutes
- Place all the bacon wrapped scallops on a platter
I had more scallops than bacon because I cut them in half so I sautéd the scallops for 4 minutes on medium heat with the marinade.
This recipe was originally posted in June, 2016.