These healthy s’mores granola bars recipe is so delicious, you’ll want more than one!
Man, oh man, oh man! I have been making these lovely healthy s’mores granola bars for a while and I swear each time I make them they get better and better.
They have all the ingredients that are in typical s’mores, but you don’t need a fire and you don’t need to toast anything. All you need is an oven. I make all types of granola bars but this one is my ‘go-to’ bar! And if you make them, you will find out why. 🙂
Another granola bar recipe: Almond nutty granola Almond nutty granola bar
How to make smores granola bars
I get out some dates, chia seeds, flax meal and maple syrup.
Chop those Dates
I chop 14 dates into little pieces and place them in a medium mixing bowl.
I measure out the chia seeds, flax meal, maple syrup and throw it all in the bowl with the dates. I heat up some water and add it to the date mixture. I stir it around and let it sit and soak for 15 minutes.
Silly me, I didn’t take a photo of what it will look like after soaking. I think it was because I was so excited to eat the s’mores granola bars that I got rambunctious and added all the other ingredients to the bowl before I remembered about the photo. ?
I preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
Gimme some chocolate chips and mini marshmallows
While I’m waiting on the dates to soak, I gather the old fashioned oats, graham crackers, chocolate chips, mini marshmallows and salt.
I open up a package (one sleeve) of graham crackers and break it up into the bowl of a food processor. I pulse it until it is all crumbs.
I add the oats, graham cracker crumbs and salt in the bowl with the dates. I did clear some of the ingredients off the date mixture so you can sort of see what it looks like.
See it in the top of the photo below?
Ah well, I tried.
I take my rubber spatula and mix everything together until it is almost combined. Now, I add the chocolate chips and marshmallows and mix again until it is completely combined.
I grease a baking dish and scrape the mixture into it. I take my hands and press down to make it evenly compacted.
I place the dish in the oven and bake it for 25 minutes.
It should be nice and bubbly. I never test it, I always just take it out at 25 minutes.
I let it totally cool before I cut into it. You will want to run a knife down the sides to loosen them.
I usually cut it into 12 bars.
Unless I’m bringing these healthy s’mores granola bars to someone’s house for a gathering, I wrap them individually with plastic wrap and stick them in the freezer.
Out of sight, out of mind. Right?
But I do have self control. Mostly.
Wrap them Up
You can see the ones I wrapped in the back. But I haven’t wrapped the front ones, oh no I haven’t.
These are chewy and delicious. The dates are simply lovely in these bars. It’s my go-to ingredient when I make chewy granola bars.
I hope you enjoyed this recipe as much as my family loves to eat them!
Feel free to Pin any photo to Pinterest, Yum the recipe to Yummly and leave me a comment.
And as always, may all your dishes be delish!
S’mores Granola Bars
- 14 dates chopped into little pieces
- ¼ cup chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons flax meal
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¾ cup hot water
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 12 graham crackers processed into crumbs – about 1 cup
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup chocolate chips
- ¾ cup mini marshmallows
- Place the chopped dates, chia seeds, flax meal, maple syrup and water in a medium sized mixing bowl. Set aside and let sit for 15 minutes
- Preheat oven to 325 F
- Once the dates have rested, add the oats, graham cracker crumbs and salt and mix until almost incorporated
- Add chocolate chips and marshmallows and mix until completely combined
- Grease a medium baking dish and press the date mixture into it, making sure it is spread evenly. I use my hands to pack it down
- Place in oven and bake for 25 minutes
- Remove and let it rest on a wire rack until the bars are completely cooled
- Run a sharp knife around the sides to loosen them
- Cut the bars into 12 pieces or more if you desire
- Eat one right off
- Wrap the rest in plastic and place them in the freezer
- Resist eating them all
- Smile because you were successful