This date nut bread recipe is easy, awesome and delicious. This bread is super fun to eat toasted and slathered with cream cheese and there is nothing like it!
When my grandmother Bena used to make this sweet bread, we would all clamor for a piece. There were five of us children in my family and I used to feel like I wasn’t going to get my share.
Of course, I always did, but I LOVED this bread over any other sweet bread she used to make.
It’s delicious, flavorful and good both plain or toasted with butter and cream cheese.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I get a small commission, at no additional cost to you, if you click the link and buy something. You can read my disclosure here.
How to make date nut bread
Liberally grease a bread pan and preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
Also make a cup of coffee and set it aside.
Cut up the dates and gather the butter and coffee. (A, B)
In a mixing bowl, place the dates and butter. Pour ½ cup boiled water and ½ cup of coffee and let it sit for 15 minutes. (C in the background)
Add egg mixture and dry mixture to the dates and combine with a spatula until just combined.
Fold in walnuts being careful not to over mix.
Transfer the bread batter to the bread pan. (D)
Bake for 45 – 50 minutes. Check after 45 minutes because all ovens are different.
Let the bread sit in the pan for 10 minutes before removing it and placing it on a rack to cool fully.
Cut a few slices.
When I have a slice of this date bread, I usually put on some butter or cream cheese. My nana served it with cream cheese.
One of the things I love about this bread, is the texture! The longer it sits waiting to be eaten, the moister it gets. That’s when I toast it.
I hope you enjoyed this date nut bread recipe.
Other popular quick bread recipes
And as always, may all your dishes be delish!
If you’ve tried this or any other recipe on the blog, I’d love the hear what you thought about it in the comments below. I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more of my delicious food and delightful cocktails!
Delicious Date Nut Bread
- 2 cups dates chopped
- ¼ cup butter
- ½ cup boiled water
- ½ cup hot decaf coffee
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ⅔ cup brown sugar
- 1 ¾ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ cup chopped walnuts
- Place dates in medium sized bowl, add butter and pour in boiling water and coffee and let it sit for 15 minutes – to soften and cool
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and grease a bread pan
- In a small bowl, assemble flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda and set aside
- In another small bowl add the egg, vanilla and brown sugar and whisk until incorporated
- Pour the egg mixture over the date mixture and add the dry ingredients. Stir until just incorporated. Do not over mix
- Fold in the walnuts, again being careful not to over mix
- Pour into prepared loaf pan and bake for 45 – 50 minutes
- Let cool for at least 10 minutes before removing from pan and transferring the bread to cool on a wire rack