This delicious date nut bread recipe is easy and awesome. This bread is super fun to eat toasted and slathered with cream cheese! There is nothing like it!
When my grandmother Bena used to make this delicious date nut bread, we would all clamor for a piece! There were five of us children in my family and I used to feel like I wasn’t going to get my share. Of course, I always did, but did anyone else feel like that?
I think I felt that way because I’m the fourth out of the five. I was close to the bottom of the food chain so it felt like survival of the fittest. And even though there is a sibling who is younger than me, there is a four year difference between us and she was cute. Nana always made sure she got her piece. 🙂
Now, I make my own food and eat as much as I want. Of course, sometimes I have to compete with Christopher but he mostly lets me win. Mostly.
How to make Date Nut Bread
Grease a bread pan and preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut up dates, butter and coffee
- Overhead shot of the dates, butter and coffee
- Whisked eggs, brown sugar and vanilla
- Batter added to bread pan
- Baked date nut bread
Steps to making this bread:
- Boil water and make a cup of coffee
- Cut up dates
- In a stainless steel bowl, place dates, butter and pour 1/2 cup boiled water as well as 1/2 cup of coffee and let sit for 15 minutes
- Preheat oven to 375
- Crack an egg in another stainless steel bowl, add brown sugar and vanilla and whisk until combined
- Add egg mixture and dry mixture to the dates and combine with a spatula until just mixed
- Fold in walnuts – don’t over mix
- Pour into bread pan and bake for 45 – 50 minutes, depending on your oven
Let the bread sit in the pan for 10 minutes before removing it and placing it on a rack to cool fully.
Cut a few slices.
When I have a slice of this delicious date nut bread, I usually put on some butter or cream cheese. My nana served it with cream cheese.
One of the things I love about this bread, is the texture! The longer it sits waiting to be eaten, the moister it gets. That’s when I toast it.
Other popular quick bread recipes on Dishes Delish:
I hope you enjoyed this date nut bread recipe.
Please leave me a comment to let me know what you think. Also, if you could rate the recipe, I’d greatly appreciate it.
And as always, may all your dishes be delish!
If you’ve tried this date nut bread or any other recipe on the blog, I’d love the hear what you thought about it in the comments below. I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more of my delicious food and delightful cocktails!
Delicious Date Nut Bread
- 2 cups dates chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup boiled water
- 1/2 cup hot decaf coffee
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Loaf pan greased
- Place dates in medium sized bowl
- Add butter
- Pour boiling water and coffee over butter and dates
- Let dates sit for 15 minutes, to soften and cool
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and grease a bread pan
- Grease loaf pan
- In a small bowl, assemble flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda, set aside
- In another small bowl crack open egg and add vanilla and brown sugar
- Whisk until incorporated
- Pour on date mixture
- Add dry ingredients and stir until just incorporated, do not over mix
- Add walnuts
- Pour into prepared loaf pan
- Place in oven
- Bake for 50 minutes
- Let cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan
- Place on rack to cool
- Slather cream cheese on it