One of my favorite appetizers are these bacon wrapped chicken livers. The delicious combination or the salty bacon wrapped so snuggly around some juicy and delicious chicken livers make it for a perfect appetizer.
I love bacon wrapped chicken livers so much that when I was in college, I lived in a dorm and luxuriated in a single and cooked for myself to save money and these bacon wrapped chicken livers were one of my staples.
I know. It was probably weird for a college student to eat bacon wrapped chicken livers. But I never said I was normal.
The difference between then and now
There are obvious differences between then and now. Yes, I know, I’m older now. Stop focusing on that.
The difference I would like to point out is the size of the chicken livers. I know I can get smaller livers than the ones I buy, but I don’t want to drive all over the place looking for them.
Hey! There’s another difference. I guess I’m lazier in some ways. When I was younger, I would have driven all over the place looking for the perfect chicken livers.
Now I just think, “These will do,” because, well, like I said, I’m lazier.
I mention this because you are going to see honking chicken livers in the upcoming photos. I did cut some in half but they are still big. Don’t think that your chicken livers have to be as big as the ones pictured, because they don’t.
How to make Bacon Wrapped Chicken Livers
Line a jelly roll pan with foil, rinse chicken livers, pat them dry and get the toothpicks!
Tips for making the bacon wrapped chicken livers:
- Since the livers I used were large, I cook them longer than the smaller ones. 8 minutes each side with the large livers and 6 minutes for the small livers
- Since you are going to cut the bacon in half, no matter how many slices of bacon you use, you will need that many toothpicks so count them out before you start assembling the bacon wrapped chicken livers because your hands are going to get dirty
- Set the broiler on high, and place the oven rack in the middle of the oven
Process Shots of the bacon wrapped chicken livers
- Tub of chicken livers, uncured bacon, toothpicks and a pan
- Livers rinsed and patted dry, cut bacon in half and wrap each liver in bacon and stick a toothpick in it to secure the ends
- Turn the broiler on high and broil for 8 minutes, moving the pan every two minutes, so all the livers get equal time under the heat. Take pan out at flip the livers and broil for 8 more minutes, moving the pan every 2 minutes like before
Everyone knows that you can’t eat chicken meat medium rare but did you know that you can eat chicken organ meat medium rare?
Well, you can.
I enjoy chicken livers done medium with a little juice seeping out, as you will see below, in the photo with a bite missing.
But first let me plate the bacon wrapped chicken livers.
And now for the bite.
I hope you enjoyed this recipe as much as I enjoyed eating these bacon wrapped chicken livers.
And as always, may all your dishes be delish!
If you’ve tried this bacon wrapped chicken livers or any other recipe on the blog, I’d love the hear what you thought about it in the comments below. I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more of my delicious food and delightful cocktails!
- 1 pound chicken livers washed and patted dry
- 9 slices bacon I used uncured, cut in half
- Line a jelly roll pan with foil
- Put a chicken liver on a half piece of bacon and roll the bacon around the liver and secure it with a toothpick
- Place wrapped chicken liver on the pan
- Repeat until all the bacon is used up or the livers, whichever comes first
- Preheat the broiler to high
- Place in oven and broil for 8 minutes, but stand there and move the pan every minute or two to evenly brown the bacon wrapped chicken livers
- Take pan out and flip the livers
- Place back in oven and continue broiling for 8 minutes, moving the pan every few minutes
- Remove from oven