This pulled pork recipe is a simple and very tasty. I use a slow cooker which pretty much assures you will will have very little work to do and makes the pork so tender and delicious with the mixture of spices!!
One thing that I love is my slow cooker. I love it because it helps me make this recipe. Yes, yes, I know that it makes other delicious meals but it does an awesome job with pork.
In my opinion, it’s all about the cut of meat and the rub. And of course, as I said before, the slow cooker!
My favorite meat is, and always has been, smoked shoulder, especially in a boiled dinner. But why bring that up now? Only to say that this pulled pork recipe has been elevated in rank to become very close to my favorite.
One of the things that I don’t really like about some pulled pork recipes is although I like the pork, I do NOT like the sweet sauce everyone seems to want to serve with it.
Too sweet. I want a savory sauce with my pulled pork and this recipe delivers in spades!!
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I get a small commission, at no additional cost to you, if you click the link and buy something. You can read my disclosure here.
How to make pulled pork
Get your crock pot (a.k.a. slow cooker.)
Gather the ingredients – pork butt (or shoulder), garlic cloves, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, kosher salt and paprika.
I usually add the rub to the pork in the insert but wanted you to see it better.
I take the rub and pat it on the butt. (That didn’t sound good, but you get the drift.)
I make sure to put it on the bottom of the pork too.
Place in crock pot insert if you already haven’t. Sprinkle on extra paprika. (This is optional.)
Add cloves of garlic and some chicken broth.
Set the slow cooker to high and the timer for 4.5 hours.
Once the timer goes off, I take the meat out of the cooker and put it on a platter and tent some pieces of foil over the meat.
Here is the meat after it rests. Look at that steam.
Take two forks and start pulling the pork apart.
I made some baked vegetables and poured the juice from the slow cooker into a pourer.
Time to plate it.
And I pour some juice/gravy over the pork on my plate.
I hope you enjoyed this recipe. I certainly enjoyed eating it.
Feel free to leave me a comment do you like your pulled pork savory like I do, or sweet?
And as always, may all your dishes be delish!
If you’ve tried this or any other recipe on the blog, I’d love the hear what you thought about it in the comments below. I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more of my delicious food and delightful cocktails!
Pulled Pork – Perfectly Delectable
- 3.6 pound pork butt or other appropriate pork, Mine was 3.6 pounds, bone in
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 ½ cups chicken broth
- 4 cloves garlic whole
- Combine chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, paprika and salt
- De-fat the pork, leaving some for flavor
- Apply rub to pork butt covering it evenly on all sides
- Place in slow cooker and sprinkle some paprika on the pork
- Pour in chicken broth (I didn't pour it over the pork) and add garlic
- Set slow cooker on high for 4.5 hours
- Take out pork butt and put on platter and tent two pieces of foil over it and let sit for 15 minutes
- Take two forks and pull apart the pork into some big chunks as well as shreds
- Pour small amount of juice from slow cooker on pork