Looking for a way to get cozy and warm this winter? This hot toddy is a comforting drink and has been a favorite of many for years, combining delicious flavors with soothing relaxation. Whether you’re looking for an after-dinner treat or just something to relax with while watching your favorite show, making a hot toddy is as easy as can be. So put on your comfiest clothes, brew up some of this timeless beverage, and snuggle in for the evening – we guarantee you won’t be disappointed!
I don’t get a cold or sore throat very often, knock on wood, so I can’t sit around just waiting for one as my excuse to drink this delicious beverage.
So, I don’t.
Yes, this cocktail is great when you’re feeling under the weather. But it’s also a comfort when it’s simply cold outside. I’ll drink it when I want a little tender, lovin’ care or to warm myself up. And I happen to love the taste, so it’s a win-win.
From my research online, here are some benefits of the ingredients in this drink.
- Bourbon whiskey – helps weight loss, prevents dementia, fights cancer, protects your heart, reduces internal clotting, controls diabetes, and boosts the immune system.
- Lemon juice – is loaded with vitamins and minerals, antioxidant-rich, cancer-fighting properties, prevents diabetes, treats indigestion, treats fever, hair care, skin care, weight loss and soothes respiratory disorders, helps throat infections and controls blood pressure.
- Honey – rich in vitamins and minerals, weight loss, boosts energy, has antioxidants, natural cough syrup, speeds wound healing and improves athletic performance.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I get a small commission, at no additional cost to you, if you click the link and buy something. You can read my disclosure here.
- Since I’m making two toddies, I will mix them in my cocktail shaker. You can build it directly in the glass if you make only one.
- If you are going to make the toddy in a cocktail shaker and you have a glass shaker like I do, put a metal spoon in it before pouring in the boiling water. I use a cocktail spoon.
- I usually scoop the honey with that spoon and pour the water directly onto it in the bottom of the shaker.
- You don’t need to add the star anise as a garnish, but I like the flavor; it looks so pretty. You can also use whole cloves as garnish. You can also add a cinnamon stick.
- You can also place thin lemon slices in the toddy as garnish as I do.
- Some people use rum instead of bourbon whiskey, but I prefer it with bourbon.
- Even though I prefer the toddy with honey, I also like it with maple syrup.
How to make a hot toddy
Put some water on to boil.
After measuring the ingredients, add them to either the cocktail shaker or the glass.
Gather the ingredients – bourbon, lemon, honey, and hot water.
Measure 4 ounces of bourbon. (A)
Measure 1.5 ounces of the lemon juice. Also, cut two lemon wheels for garnish. (B)
Measure 2 tablespoons of honey. (C) Add the honey to the shaker.
Cut two thin lemon wheels and select a few star anise. (D)
Stick a long metal spoon in the shaker and pour 2 cups of freshly boiled water over the honey.
Stir all the ingredients together. The water will melt the honey.
Divide the toddy between the two mugs.
Place a lemon wheel and a star anise in each drink.
Let’s see the vertical view!
It’s a gorgeous cocktail and so warming and comforting.
I cough a few times before I pick the glass up and sip the delicious toddy. Do I have to cough? No, but I’m getting into character.
I hope you enjoyed this hot toddy recipe! Just remember it when you have your next cold. It really does make you feel better.
Other popular bourbon drinks
And as always, may all your dishes/drinks be delish!
If you’ve tried this or any other recipe on the blog, I’d love to hear what you thought about it in the comments below. I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more of my delicious food and delightful cocktails!
Hot Toddy | Perfect for Cold Season
- 4 ounces bourbon
- 1.5 ounce fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 2 cup boiling water
- 2 lemon wheel any thickness
- 2 star anise
- You can either build these directly in the mugs or use a cocktail shaker. I prefer the shaker
- Add bourbon, lemon juice, honey and boiled water into your shaker (or glass)4 ounces bourbon, 1.5 ounce fresh lemon juice, 2 tablespoon honey, 2 cup boiling water
- Stir until combined and honey has melted
- Add a lemon wheel and star anise to each mug2 lemon wheel, 2 star anise
- Feel better
- Since I’m making two toddies, I am going to mix them in my cocktail shaker. If you’re making only one, you can build it directly in the glass.
- If you are going to make the toddy in a cocktail shaker and you have a glass shaker like I do, put a metal spoon in it before pouring the boiling water. I use a cocktail spoon.
- I usually scoop the honey with that spoon and pour the water directly into it in the bottom of the shaker.
- You don’t need to add the star anise as garnish, but I like the flavor and it looks so pretty.
From lighting up stages with her BA in theater to crafting delightful dishes and cocktails, Elaine Benoit's journey is a testament to passion's transformative power. As the CEO of Dishes Delish, she offers a blend of healthy, comforting recipes and exquisitely crafted cocktails. Beyond the kitchen, Elaine voiced her culinary adventures on her podcast, "Dishing," and co-owns Food Blogger Help, extending her expertise to guide budding food bloggers to success. Whether it's for a heartwarming dish or insights into food blogging, Elaine's diverse experiences make her a beacon in the culinary digital landscape.