I love this good old fashioned chicken soup recipe! Why? Because it’s a family recipe and that means it’s comforting and delicious!! There is an abundance of veggies and chicken in this soup that will soothe you whether you have a cold or not.
One of my favorite things growing up was my mom’s old fashioned chicken soup. She made it so often that it seems like we had it every week. And it was delicious. But because my Dad grew up in the Depression and my mom was naturally thrifty, she used to make her chicken soup with… drum(stick) roll please… chicken necks.
Do you realize how many chicken necks you have to eat to feel satisfied? Trust me, it’s a lot. I felt like a little cannibal gnawing on the necks and sucking out the meat. I pretty much never eat chicken necks now. And I like that about me.
Do you like that about me?
Were your folks super thrifty about food? Or anything else? Let me know in a comment.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I get a small commission, at no additional cost to you, if you click the link and buy something. You can read my disclosure here.
How to make old fashioned chicken soup
Get a medium stockpot.
Gather the organic chicken, carrots, celery, onion and chicken broth
Dry both inside and outside of the chicken and place it into a medium stockpot. Add chicken broth and turn the heat under the pan to high and bring to a boil.
Meanwhile, cut the onion, carrots and celery in chunks.
Lower heat under the pot to a simmer and add veggies and herbs and spices to stockpot.
Cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
Add orzo and continue cooking for 15 minutes.
Take out chicken and take meat off the bones. Place chicken pieces back in the stockpot.
I make a salad, take out a crusty roll and some butter and then ladle some old fashioned chicken soup into a couple of crocks.
Time to eat.
I hope you enjoy this old fashioned chicken soup recipe! It’s comforting and delicious!
And as always, may all your dishes be delish!
If you’ve tried this or any other recipe on the blog, I’d love the hear what you thought about it in the comments below. I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more of my delicious food and delightful cocktails!
Good Old Fashioned Chicken Soup
- 2 – 3 pounds whole organic chicken washed and dried
- 1 pound carrots cut in chunks
- 1 large onion cut in chunks
- 1 stalk celery cut in slices
- 32 ounces chicken broth organic, I use Trader Joe’s brand
- 2 cups water
- Bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons basil
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- 2 tablespoons tarragon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup orzo pasta
- Place chicken in stockpot and pour chicken broth and water in the pot. Turn heat on high and bring to a boil
- Immediately lower to a simmer and add carrots, onion, celery, bay leaf, basil, parsley, tarragon, salt and pepper
- Cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes
- Add orzo and stir. Cook for additional 15 minutes
- Take chicken out of pot and remove meat from bones and return meat back to the pot and stir
- Ladle chicken soup in some bowls or crocks