This simple carbonara recipe is so delicious and can be ready in less than 30 minutes!
Servings 6 Servings
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion (medium, chopped)
- 6 ounces pancetta (chopped whether you buy thin sliced or chunked)
- 3 teaspoons garlic paste (or 3 cloves garlic, minced)
- 1 cup peas (I use fresh, but you can also use frozen)(cooked)
- 1 pound bucatini pasta
- Salt for pasta water
- 3 eggs
- ¾ cup grated parmesan cheese
Time everything to be finished cooking by the time the pasta is done
Fill medium sized stockpot ½ way with water, salt it and set to boil. Once the water has come to a boil, add pasta and cook for 11 minutes or until done
Cook one cup of frozen peas, set aside
Heat a sauté pan on medium heat and add olive oil and onion. Sauté for 7 minutes
Add pancetta and sauté for 7 minutes before adding garlic and cook for an additional minute
As the pasta is cooking, crack the eggs into a mixing bowl and add parmesan. Whisk until combined
Drain cooked pasta - DO NOT run cold water over it, place in large mixing bowl and add the egg mixture and immediately mix the egg with the pasta
Add the pancetta/onion mixture and the peas and mix it with the pasta
Place in a serving bowl
- When cooking your pasta, cook until just al dente. When draining the pasta, don't run cold water over it as you need it to be hot when you add the egg and cheese mixture. The heat from the pasta cooks the eggs and melts the cheese.
- Cook the onions until they are slightly browned before adding the pancetta. Since you are going to continue cooking them together long enough to crisp the pancetta, you don't want your onions to be overcooked.
- One of the tricks to making good carbonara is timing. You have to make sure the onions, pancetta, and peas are ready at the same time as the pasta. That way, when you mix everything together, they cook the eggs and cheese properly.
- When cooking fresh peas, use just enough water to almost cover the peas. Bring to a boil and promptly drain. If cooking frozen peas, also use just enough water to cover them, bring the water to a boil, add the peas and cook for 3 minutes.
Serving: 1.5cups | Calories: 545kcal | Carbohydrates: 62g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 80mg | Sodium: 342mg | Potassium: 341mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 345IU | Vitamin C: 11.1mg | Calcium: 127mg | Iron: 1.9mg