Tomato Gravy | Chunky Vegetables
This delicious recipe is perfect on your pasta or even just topped on a piece of bread!
Servings 6 cups
- 1 onion large, chopped in chunks
- 1 red bell pepper large, chopped in chunks
- 1 package portobello mushrooms package of sliced baby bellas
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes
- 12 ounces tomato paste
- Water (1 ¾ cans full - use tomato paste can)
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 1 bay leaf
Heat large sauce pan on medium heat
Chop the onion and bell pepper into chunks
Add olive oil and heat it up
Add onion and bell pepper and sauté for 10 minutes
Add mushrooms and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes
Add diced tomatoes, paste and 1 ¾ cans of water (use the paste can)
Add herbs, bay leaf, salt and pepper
Once mixture comes to a boil, lower to simmer and cook for 1 hour, stirring every 10 minutes
Ladle on pasta
Calorie calculations are for the gravy alone, not the pasta.
- This is a vegetarian sauce but if you want extra protein, add a ground meat of your choice.
- My mother used to make her gravy with green bell peppers; I prefer red bell peppers, so choose which one you prefer.
- I use Vidalia onions since I like the sweetness, but if you prefer yellow onions, go for it.
- When you add tomato paste, you need to add water to thin it out. The trick is finding the right amount to add. Remember, you can always add more but you can't take it out.
- When I add the water, I use the tomato paste can to measure it. It also helps clean the can of residual paste.
- Hubby loves when I add extra oil to sauté the vegetables because it makes the gravy velvety. Use what you are comfortable with. Two tablespoons is a good place to start.
Serving: 1cup | Calories: 158kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 1031mg | Potassium: 1038mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 1655IU | Vitamin C: 52mg | Calcium: 104mg | Iron: 4mg