Sprouted Spelt Chocolate Chip Muffins
Chockfull of chocolate chips, these muffins are hearty and satisfying, not to mention delicious!
Servings 12 Muffins
- 2 cups spelt flour (sprouted - or all purpose white)
- 1 cup cane sugar (or brown sugar - not packed)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- .50 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- .50 cup milk
- .50 cup Greek yogurt (plain)
- .50 cup olive oil
- 1 cup chocolate chips (I use both large chocolate chips and chocolate chunks)
Preheat oven 400 degrees Fahrenheit
In a large mixing bowl, add the spelt flour, brown sugar, salt and baking soda. Mix ingredients with a dough cutter
Add the egg, milk, yogurt and olive oil. Mix with rubber spatula until just combined.
Add chocolate chips and fold in with a spatula. Be careful not to overmix
Line muffin pan with parchment paper cups
Spoon the dough into the cups. I fill the cups to the top
Place muffin pan into the oven and bake for 20 minutes until the tester comes out clean
Let muffins cool in pan for 5 minutes before removing them and placing them on a wire rack
Either eat one right away for the chocolate gooeyness or eat one later
- If you don't have spelt flour, a good substitute is all purpose, white flour.
- I usually use brown sugar but I only had really dark sugar so I used cane sugar. Use whichever sugar you prefer.
- I don't like to sift my dry ingredients together unless I really have to. Instead, I use a pastry blender to break up any chunks and to mix them together.
- You don't have to use two different kinds of chocolate chips, but I love combining big 60% cocoa Ghirardelli chips and chocolate chunks.
- Be careful not to over mix the batter. I mix just until almost combined before I fold in the chocolate chips.
Serving: 1muffin | Calories: 314kcal | Carbohydrates: 58g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 22mg | Sodium: 159mg | Potassium: 76mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 37g | Vitamin A: 100IU | Vitamin C: 0.1mg | Calcium: 75mg | Iron: 1.9mg