Bourbon Manhattan Cocktail
This easy and delicious Manhattan cocktail will make you feel like you are on the set of Mad Men
Servings 2 cocktails
- 4 ounces bourbon
- 2 ounce sweet vermouth
- 5 drops Woodford Reserves bitters (see notes and tips as I use 10 drops for 2 cocktails)
Fill a cocktail shaker 1/2 way with ice
Add bourbon, sweet vermouth and the dashes of bitters
Cap the shaker and shake for 20 seconds
Place an ice cube in the old fashioned glass and strain and divide the liquid between the two glasses
Plop the cherries in each drink
Tips for making the classic drink:
- Buy the best bourbon you can afford. To me, you can taste the difference when you make a cocktail with a premium liquor or what we called "top shelf" in the bar where I used to work. It's especially important in a cocktail like this since there are basically only 2 ingredients. That means you can more easily taste the difference.
- If you can, get some fun bitters. I purchased Woodford Reserve flavored bitters. The package arrived with 4 different flavors: spiced cherry, orange, aromatic and chocolate. I've used them all and they're delightful, but my favorite is spiced cherry. This recipe calls for 5 drops for two cocktails, but I usually use 10 for two drinks. You need to play around with the amount of bitters to see what suits you.
- If you don't have fancy bitters, it's perfectly fine to use Angostura or any other bitters.
- You can serve this Manhattan straight up or on the rocks. I like mine straight up and served in a martini glass. My mother used to drink her Manhattans on the rocks.
- Whenever I use maraschino cherries as garnish, I rinse them off so the juice they are stored in doesn't infiltrate the cocktail.
Serving: 1cocktail | Calories: 210kcal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Sugar: 2g