Warm Spinach Salad
Cooked vegetables help wilt the spinach so you have a flavorful and delicious salad that is easy to make and beautiful to serve. And crumble bacon on it and it's a party going on in your mouth.
Servings 4 servings
- 8 ounces uncured bacon (fried and cut into bite sized pieces)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium purple onion (sliced into rings)
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces sliced portobello mushrooms
- 2 teaspoons garlic paste (or 2 cloves of garlic, minced)
- 8 ounces baby spinach (I use pre-packaged)
- ⅛ cup balsamic vinegar
Fry the bacon on medium heat until crispy. Transfer to a plate lined with some paper towels and blot the grease off with another paper towel and set aside. Once the bacon has cooled, cut in bit sized pieces
Heat a wok or sauté pan on medium and once that has heated up, add olive oil and once that has heated up, add the onion and salt and sauté for 10 minutes
Add mushrooms and garlic and continue sautéing for 3 minutes
Put the spinach in a large mixing bowl
Add the hot onion mixture and balsamic vinegar to the spinach and mix with a spatula until combined
Transfer the spinach to a serving bowl and top with bacon
- I use purple onion but if you prefer, you can use either a yellow or Vidalia onion
- I recommend nitrate free and uncured bacon because I feel it is better for you than typical bacon. But use what you like.
- To save time, cook the bacon and veggies at the same time in separate pans. I use a sauté pan for the bacon and a wok for the vegetables.
- I like to serve the finished salad in serving bowl, different from the bowl I've used to mix the veggies with the spinach.
- I only crumble as much bacon onto the salad as we can eat because it will soften if it sits in the refrigerator in the leftover salad. Save the rest of the bacon for the next time you heat up the salad.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 205kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 37mg | Sodium: 430mg | Potassium: 693mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 5338IU | Vitamin C: 18mg | Calcium: 72mg | Iron: 2mg