Mint Julep Cocktail
This delicious Mint Julep Recipe is fun to drink year round. Not just on the day of the Kentucky Derby!
Servings 1 cocktail
- 10 leaves of mint (hold a few aside for garnish)
- ½ ounce simple syrup
- 2 ½ ounces bourbon
In your stainless steel cup, place the mint and syrup
Muddle the mint with a muddler or the back of a wooden spoon until the mint is bruised and fragrant. You should be able to smell the mint without sticking your nose in the cup
Fill the cup ¾ full with crushed ice
Pour bourbon on ice
Add more ice, plop some mint on top, stick your straw in and stir
Get on your Kentucky Derby hat
- Buy the freshest mint you can find. I find that it mint lasts for a little over a week in the refrigerator.
- Muddling herbs or fruit in a cocktail is fun and easy. Here's how to muddle the mint for this julep: place the mint and simple syrup in the glass. Next, take a muddler or if you don't own one, the back of a wooden spoon and crush the mint with the syrup until you bruise the leaves and can smell the mint without sticking your nose in the glass. Now you're ready for the next step.
- Since this cocktail only has 3 ingredients, use the best bourbon you can afford.
- Make your own simple syrup. It is easy and economical. Here's how - Place 1 cup of sugar and 1 cup of water in a saucepan and heat on medium. Once it comes to a boil, lower to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Allow the simple syrup to completely cool before adding to your cocktails.
- You will be building this cocktail in the glass and although you see two cocktails in the photos below, I am writing the recipe for one cocktail.
Serving: 4ounces | Calories: 202kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Sodium: 9mg | Sugar: 10g | Iron: 0.5mg