Classic Old Fashioned Cocktail Recipe
This classic Old Fashioned drink is so easy and delicious. It will make you feel like you're on the Mad Men set!
Servings 1 cocktail
- 1 orange wheel (cut in half)
- 2 maraschino cherries (I used a deluxe brand like Luxardo, but regular will do)
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 dashes bitters (to me, this is optional but have added it in the recipe because it usually goes in an old fashioned, but I prefer the cocktail without it. Angostura is a good solid brand)
- 2 ounces bourbon
In a rocks or double old fashioned glass put your orange wheel, maraschino cherry, water, sugar and the optional bitters
Take a muddler or the back of a spoon and smush the orange and cherry with the water, sugar (and bitters if you use it)
Put some ice on top of the muddled fruit
Pour bourbon over ice
Take cocktail spoon and stir thoroughly
- As always, use a good bourbon as this cocktail is almost all booze so you will taste the difference. Check out my guide on bourbon for brand recommendations.
- If you don't have a muddler, you can use the back of a spoon.
- Use big cubes, since it looks pretty cool in cocktails. Here are the trays that I have.
- Use good cherries like Luxardo cherries.
- Once the bourbon is poured in the glass, use a cocktail spoon to stir it.
- This cocktail usually is made with a few dashes of bitters. I actually prefer it without the addition, but if you like it with bitters, add it when you muddle the fruit with the water and sugar.
- I say make it both ways to see which you prefer.
Serving: 1cocktail | Calories: 171kcal