Coconut Washed Rum
With subtle hints of coconut added to your favorite rum, this coconut washed rum makes the perfect base to all your favorite tropical cocktails. Made with just two ingredients, you won’t believe how easy it is to make this delicious alcohol infusion.
Servings 24 ounces
- 24 ounces rum (white, clear)
- ⅓ cup coconut oil (heaping - extra virgin, cold pressed and unrefined)
Add rum to the jar.
In a small saucepan, add the coconut oil.
Turn the heat under the pan to medium/low and stand there as it melts, stirring occasionally until it is fully melted.
Pour melted oil in with the rum.
Cap the jar and shake vigorously. Set on the counter for at least 4 - 8 hours. I usually keep it on the counter for 6 hours.
Place in the freezer for at least 2 hours or until the coconut oil has solidified. I usually keep it in there overnight. It's not going to hurt anything.
Place a sieve in a large bowl and add a fine meshed cheesecloth in the the sieve.
If you can remove the solid part from the jar, do so now. I am able to cut a piece of it out of the coconut and then get the other piece out. Or if you can't, dig a hole through the solid oil and pour the rum out of that hole and over the cheesecloth.
Pour the strained rum into a clean jar and cap it.
If you don't have ultra fine cheesecloth, you will probably have to strain it more than once. Let the jar sit for a few hours and repeat the straining process.
- Use organic, extra virgin, cold pressed and unrefined coconut oil because you want it as minimally processed as possible.
- They say that refined coconut oil has less of a coconut taste than unrefined, but I find them to be equal in taste.
- You are going to use cheesecloth to strain the coconut oil out of the rum. Buy a cheesecloth that's as finely meshed as you can. I also recommend unbleached cheesecloth. The beauty of the product I bought is it can be washed and used over and over again until it stops straining well.
- Be aware that you will have to run the rum through the cheesecloth a few times if you don't have the ultra fine cloth.
- After you add the oil to the rum, you are going to let it rest on the counter for at least four hours.
- After the jar sits on counter, you will put the jar in the freezer for at least 2 hours but I usually leave it in overnight. You want the oil to become solid.
Serving: 2ounces | Calories: 92kcal | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 1mg | Potassium: 1mg | Iron: 1mg