Instant Pot Black Bean Soup
The ease and deliciousness of this instant pot black bean soup recipe will have you tossing out your stock pots and lovingly embracing your pressure cookers.
Servings 8 cups
- 1.5 cups black beans (dried and washed)
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 3 large carrots (chopped)
- 1 stalk celery (chopped)
- 1 large red bell pepper (chopped)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 15 ounces diced tomatoes (small can)
- 1 teaspoon oregano (dried)
- 1 teaspoon cumin (ground)
- 3 tablespoons garlic paste (or 3 cloves, crushed)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ teaspoon chipotle powder
Place beans, veggies, diced tomatoes, broth, oregano, cumin, salt, bay leaf and garlic paste in the instant pot insert
Seal the instant pot, make sure the venting knob is set to sealed and press the soup function and set the timer to 45 minutes. Make sure the mode is set to normal and the pressure is set to high. The IP will take around 15 minutes to come to pressure
When the instant pot beeps that it is done, either let it release the pressure naturally (around 25 minutes) or do a quick release. (See notes for how to do it)
Transfer the soup to a serving bowl
Ladle into crocks
I didn't add the time it takes for the instant pot to come to pressure or to release the pressure naturally. I always do a quick release method.
- Always wash and pick over dried beans. Sometimes there can be rocks hiding in there.
- No need to soak the beans.
- Although I urge you to make the recipe with dried black beans for a more robust soup, you could substitute three cans of black beans instead and set the cooking time to 10 minutes.
- To make this recipe vegetarian, either use vegetable broth or water.
- If you're not vegetarian, you can either use beef or chicken broth.
- Here is how to do a quick release
- Don an oven mitt and carefully turn the knob to the venting position. It will take up to 5 minutes for the pressure to release and the pressure knob to drop. Now it is ready to open the lid of the instant pot.
Serving: 1.5cups | Calories: 170kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 423mg | Potassium: 505mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 5237IU | Vitamin C: 44mg | Calcium: 65mg | Iron: 2mg