Mexican Pickled Onions
These Mexican pickled onions are the perfect thing to drape over tacos, sandwiches, salads and the list goes on! They are slightly tangy and so delicious!
Servings 2 cups
- 1 large red onion (sliced thinly - see notes)
- 4 limes (juiced)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- .50 teaspoon salt
Add sliced onions to jar
Add lime juice, apple cider vinegar and salt
Cap jar and turn upside down and leave on the counter for 30 minutes
Turn the jar rightside up for 30 minutes. Next turn it on the side for 30 minutes
Place in fridge for four days. The onions will shrink and now the liquid will almost be covering the onions
Transfer to a better fitting jar
- If you aren't fond of red onion, you can use a Vidalia onion, which is sweeter. Just know that it won't turn red while it pickles.
- Use a large onion or a few medium onions.
- Slice the onion as thinly as you can. So, unless you are a whizz with the knife, you can use a mandolin or you can use a food processor.
- Don't be alarmed but the onion will fill the jar but the liquid will NOT cover the onion. The onion will shrink as it sits in the fridge.
- You can store pickled onions in the fridge for at least a month.
Serving: 0.25cup | Calories: 65kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 587mg | Potassium: 217mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 65IU | Vitamin C: 43.1mg | Calcium: 57mg | Iron: 0.9mg