Jalapeño Infused Tequila
This recipe is so easy and delicious, you'll wonder why you haven't done it sooner.
Servings 1 cups
- 12.68 ounces tequila (the best you can afford - I used Patron Silver)
- 2 large jalapeños (or more - but two is a good amount)
If you are going to roast one of the jalapeños, hold the pepper near the stem with tongs. Turn gas burner on medium high and hold pepper over the flame. Turn periodically to let the skin blacken evenly around the pepper. Let pepper cool enough to touch it without burning yourself and peel the blackened skin off with your fingers or a knife
Cut off stems jalapeños and slice the peppers in half lengthwise. Continue to slice the halves lengthwise in thinnish strips
Pour tequila in jar and place each jalapeño strip in the jar. Cap and place on the counter for four days, making sure to gently shake it every day
Make a drink with the tequila
NOTE: I did not add into the recipe prep time the 4 days it takes to infuse the alcohol.
Tips on making infused vodka:
- I like spicy food but not everyone around me does, so I usually only use 2 jalapenos. I feel that this creates the right amount of heat to be liked by everyone, even people who don't like spice (kind of like mild salsa).
- In this recipe, I roasted one of the peppers to add flavor to the tequila, but you can skip that part if you want.
- Use the best tequila you can afford as I believe that margaritas really need premium liquor. Usually when adding a fruit juice to a cocktail, I say go with at least mid-level liquor, but with margaritas, I really think you can taste the difference. Patron silver costs around $25 dollars for 375ml and once you try it, you'll never go back to cheap tequila again.
- Whichever tequila brand you use, make sure to save the bottle as you will want to transfer the alcohol back into it when you're done infusing.
- I have never had any infused liquor go bad because I use it up fairly quickly so I don't know how long you can store it. My feeling is that it lasts a while.
Serving: 2ounces | Calories: 120kcal | Sodium: 2mg