Instant Pot Black Beans
Once you make these delicious black beans, you'll never go back to canned beans.
Servings 10 cups
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 large carrots diced, medium size chunks
- 1 stalk celery diced small
- 1 pound black beans, dried washed
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 ½ teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ teaspoon salt
Press sauté on instant pot. Once heated, add oil, then the onions, carrots and celery. Sauté for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally
Add beans, broth, water, cumin, oregano, garlic powder, bay leaf and salt
Seal IP and make sure venting knob is in the sealed position. Press pressure cooker button and set timer to 25 minutes. It will take 10 minutes to come to pressure before the timer starts to count down
Once the timer dings, either let the pressure release naturally (will take up to 25 minutes) or carefully release by hand, which takes around 3 minutes.I carefully tap the knob, every few seconds being careful not to let the steam hit my hand. Lastly, I turn the venting knob all the way to the venting position just to be sure before I open the IP.
Scoop out some beans and place in an individual sized bowl. Serve the instant pot black beans with some meat and veggies
Added 10 - 15 minutes to prep time for the IP to come to pressure.
- To save time and calories, you can skip adding olive oil and sautéing the vegetables. I do it both ways and they are both delicious. You chose.
- Wash and pick over the beans. I have found rocks in the beans and you don't want to be chomping on that.
- Here's how to wash beans. Get a large bowl and a sieve that fits in it. Add the beans to the sieve and run cold water over them until they are slightly under water. Swish your fingers around the beans and keep your eyes out for bad beans or rocks. Empty water and repeat one or two more times.
- Any pressure cooker takes between 10 - 20 minutes to come to full pressure. It all depends on how full the cooker is. So, add that to your cooking time.
- Once the beans are done, you can either let the instant pot (IP) release the pressure naturally (between 15 - 25 minutes) or do a quick release (approximately 5 - 10 minutes - depending how patient you are.)
- To do a quick release - don an oven mitt to protect your hand from steam and nudge the venting knob to the venting position and let the steam escape and the pressure indicator to drop before opening the lid.
- If the IP is full to the maximum line (it won't be for this recipe) I usually drape a paper towel over the venting knob to catch any food spray that comes out with the steam.
Serving: 1cup | Calories: 200kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 3g | Sodium: 484mg | Potassium: 852mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 3635IU | Vitamin C: 8.8mg | Calcium: 80mg | Iron: 2.8mg