Maple Nut Scones
There is nothing like a delicious scone in the morning! Especially these wonderful maple nut scones!
Servings 12 scones
- 2 cups spelt flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons cold butter (one stick)
- 1/2 cup half & half (or light cream)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar
Preheat oven to 400 F
Add flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl
Cut in the COLD butter with a pastry blender or a couple knives
Add half & half, maple syrup and walnuts and mix with a spatula until it is just combined. Do not over mix the dough
While the dough is still in the bowl, use your hands to knead the dough for one minute. Don't over knead the dough
Flour your working surface (I used a marble pastry board) and divide the dough into two pieces. I shape them into two rectangles
Cut each piece into triangles. I get 6 scones per rectangle
Place the scones on a parchment paper lined jelly roll pan, leaving space between each scone
Place pan in oven and bake for 12 - 15 minutes. They should be lightly browned around the edges and have a little give if you touch them
Place the butter and maple syrup into a small saucepan and heat until the butter is melted. Whisk the confectioner's sugar in it until creamy
Scoop some glaze in a sandwich bag, cut one of the corners of the bag and squeeze as much glaze as you want over scones
- Do not over mix the dough. Over mixing will cause your scones to be hard and tough.
- Make sure to use cold butter, I take it out at the last moment before I cut it into the flour mixture.
- You will not use up all the glaze, but I find that if I make less, I feel like I'll run out.
- The scones freeze beautifully. Make sure the glaze is fully set and the scones are completely cooled. I use a gallon ziplock bag and place them in a single layer.
Serving: 1scone | Calories: 270kcal | Carbohydrates: 41.99g | Protein: 3.83g | Fat: 16.41g | Saturated Fat: 8.24g | Cholesterol: 33.96mg | Sodium: 131.37mg | Potassium: 124.54mg | Fiber: 2.99g | Sugar: 25g | Vitamin A: 387.12IU | Vitamin C: 0.09mg | Calcium: 58.57mg | Iron: 1.16mg