Stupendous Strawberry Sauce
This delicious strawberry sauce is great on cheesecake or dolloped onto some yogurt. You decide. :)
Servings 24 tablespoons
- 1 pound strawberries washed, hulled and sliced in 3 - 4 slices
- 1/8 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
Wash strawberries (see notes), hull and slice each strawberry in 3 - 4 slices
Place strawberries in a medium saucepan and add water, sugar, balsamic vinegar and cornstarch
Turn heat to medium under saucepan and bring mixture into a boil, stirring all the while
Lower to a simmer and after 5 minutes, take the back of a tablespoon and mash some strawberries, this will help thicken the mixture
Let mixture simmer for additional 10 minutes
Check to see if enough strawberries are mashed, adjust as needed
Let it cool before ladeling the sauce onto some cheesecake or shortcake
This strawberry sauce will last in the refrigerator for 3 weeks.
Tips on washing strawberries:
- Always wash strawberries well because they are one of the top ten pesticide-ridden fruits. But don't soak them as they easily absorb water, which will dilute their sweetness and flavor.
- To wash, remove the leaves without breaking into the strawberries. Then put them in a colander or sieve; run water over them; take them in your hands and gently rub each one with your fingers to make sure you clean it.
- After the strawberries are completely washed, place them on a paper towel and dry them off or let them air dry for several minutes.
- Now, hull them and start preparing them for the recipe.
Serving: 2tablespoons | Calories: 14kcal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Potassium: 28mg | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin C: 11.1mg | Calcium: 3mg | Iron: 0.1mg