Whoopie Pie Cake
Why just have whoopie pies when you can have whoopie pie cake! Deliciously moist and chocolatey.
Servings 12 slices
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups milk soured with 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 3/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups marshmallow fluff
- 3 cups confectioner's sugar
Take out butter at least a half hour before starting the recipe
Preheat oven 350 degrees F and liberally grease two 9 inch cake rounds
In a small bowl combine cocoa and hot water, set aside
In stand mixer, cream softened butter and sugar together until creamy
Add eggs, sour milk and mix together, it will be a little watery
Add flour, cocoa mixture, baking soda, baking powder and salt, mix until incorporated
Pour batter into prepared cake round pans and bake for 25 minutes
Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans and placing them on wire racks to cool fully
In the mixer, add softened butter, marshmallow fluff and confectioner's sugar. Turn the mixer on low and gradually increase the speed until the frosting is totally mixed
Cut the domes off the cakes for easier frosting and either throw them away or set aside to eat later
Place one of the rounds, dome side up on the cake base and dollop a healthy amount of the frosting on the cake. Use a knife to spread the frosting over the cake round
Place the other round dome side down on top of frosted one and add more frosting around the edges so it is level with the sides
Cut into slices
- Once you've whisked together the cocoa powder and water, the longer it sits, the thicker it gets.
- You need to take the butter out at least 30 minutes before starting the recipe. I like to take it out one hour before and in the winter months, I actually take it out the night before.
- To quicken the softening of the butter: unwrap it, place it in the mixer and cut it into pats with a knife.
- To keep your hand clean when you grease the cake pans, put a sandwich baggie over your hand, scoop out some vegetable shortening and spread it thickly around the pan. Then peel off the sandwich baggie and you have a clean hand.
- How to sour milk - Add 2 cups of milk to a small bowl and whisk in 2 tablespoons vinegar, let sit for 5 minutes.
- You will have extra frosting but don't worry because it freezes well - put in an airtight container and use within 3 months.
Serving: 1slice | Calories: 425kcal | Carbohydrates: 101g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Cholesterol: 89mg | Sodium: 421mg | Potassium: 197mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 72g | Vitamin A: 832IU | Calcium: 84mg | Iron: 2mg